Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using 2000 Server for web hosting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeDeau

Technical User
Oct 13, 2002
US
Just bought a domain and wanted to use 2000 Server as the domain controller for it as well as run the web page, and exchange server on one machine. Does my DNS server need to be my 2000 Server's IP address? How do I get started? Thanks in advance...

Find a very big book on Windows 2000 and read it cover to cover.

That's a seriously newbie question - you'd never find a server big enough to do all of that on one box. Each of those needs to be on a separate powerful box.

If you want you can do it, all depends on how many request you could receive and how capable is your box.
OR you can look if the people who sold your damain name can give you DNS services. It can be dynamic if your IP address changes periodically or static if your IP is Fixed.
Just ask them for the service..Another OPtion is Your ISP, I'm almost sure both of them could provide the service.
A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Maybe I didn't go into enough detail from the start. I Just play to use 2000 Server as a domain controller and host the web page there. Then I plan to use Exchange Server Enterprise for e-mail services. Can I just make my machine the DNS server for the domain or do I have to tell the people who sold me the domain name? And will co-workers from other area (other states) be able to connect to my domain and share resources? Thanks.

Screw setting up a DNS server and use one of the free one's- mydomain.com is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back