Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using 2000 Pro as a file server??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcvogel

Technical User
Jun 28, 2004
US

How can I set up a 2000 pro machine on the router to act as the verifier of user names (on the intranet). Then the associated priviledges with that name and password are available from any computer on the network.. I'm totally new to this and hope this is possible.. It doesn't have to be great, just work for storing data from different users so i can back it all up on a tape drive each night. Many thanks for any help you could give.

Chris Vogel

Hi Chris

Win 2000 Pro isn't really equipt to do this. I certainly wouldn't recomend it. You really should be using a dedicated server operating system for something as critical as a file server, such as win 2003 server or even NT4 Server although this is pretty old and obsolete now. W2K Pro isn't designed to be run 24\7 without any reboot. You'll probably find the machine will run slower and slower the longer it runs then start to get access problems.

You could always just setup a peer to peer (workgroup) network with no user authentification except their local PC logons, have a central file server and do it with simple file sharing and permissions. It's a little bit much to go into the details here but I think this setup would work for you. It sounds like you only have a small site?

Hope I've helped in answering your question.

Simon

Sorry, but you can perfectly do that for limited use as you describe.
a File-server is NOT a critical set-up, all that PC does is store and share files, there is no high-performance PC needed for such a task, you can even do that on any old Win95/98 PC if you want to.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Most notable limitation is the maximum of 10 concurrent connections (workstations) to this server (also through TCP/IP!). This is burnt deep down into W2K-Pro, and user configurable on the W2K-Server editions.

HTH
TonHu

Mark - would you be willing to talk me through setting it up...

Chris

Sure, what is the problem?
There really is not much to it, set it up, if not already done so, create a directory to be shared, create sub-directories per user, and ... share the main folder.

Beware, if you do it like that, everyone can access other's files.
If you do not want that, you will have to share the subdirs individually, per user.

On the other PCs, map a drive to that share, assign it letter R or something (as in Recovery), and copy all files to that drive.

You can use a batch file for that.
If you don't have that, let us know, we'll post one.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

Well I wouldn't describe a file server as NOT being critical. The data is the most critical part of any operation. Of course you can use any OS to share file but have you ever seen how a desktop PC performs after running non stop for 2 or 3 weeks. I wouldn't be using a workstation as a file server

I formated the drive and put 8 partitions... What I want to be able to do is have each logon name associated with a different partition (drive letter). I suppose I have to share each of them with a password and that since it isn't a server software running it, i will have to go to each desktop and add the user name and password on each.. But.. how do I have it so that with each logon it automatically makes the associated drive only be the default drive to save in and that the others are either passworded out OR invisible except for the administrator ? I GREATLY Appreciate your help!!!

Chris

Hey Chris, Not too sure if this is what you are looking for..
What I would do is go ahead and set up the 8 patitions and then Manaully map to the partition (Map network drive, set to always map at start up) and set it to drive f: for example. And then what you can do is set the software up to save directly to this shared drive. You may have to login to the Shared drives with the user name and password, then select to save Password. Unless you have a the user changing their NT password ever 90 days. It is a pretty basic way, but it should help untill you are able to get something more concrete down for this process.

R

There is no stupid question, unless it is a question not asked !

Chris, you are complicating things!

Wether you share 8 partitions or 8 subfolders, that is the same amount of work.
Except, for your backup, you will need to backup 8 partitions, instead of 1 master directory, where all shard sub-dirs are located.

sioxley, I did not mean DATA is not critical, but a file server is not, if it fails, you can bring it online again in no time on any PC you can get your hands on.

We all established by nw a workstation is NOT the way to go as a file server, but as it is now, that is what mrcvogel is wanting to use. He will have to deal with the limitations, but it is workable.

Marc
[/sub]

Hey guys, I don't want to use this workstation, but funding limits me to do so :eek:( So am I on the right path with the limitations I have? Do I get on each workstation and set up every user individually? How do I only allow certain drives for certain users?

Most grateful,
Chris

You have to give the implicit permissions to each share to each user.
Check permissions in Help, there is a lot in there

Marc
[/sub]

I have to agree that instead doing 8 partitions, you can do 8 directories. The advantages of this one is that the directory sizes are flexible unlike partitions that if you give them 8 gb each then thats it.

If so happens in the future that 1 user needs bigger capacity than the other then you have limited choice to do this.

Unlike with 1 partition and several directories...
and since you are going to give indiviual users individual their own passwords and directories.. then they can see the directories of others but not open it or access it.

If you are working in a non-sever environment, you can easiliy set permissions for this on the "file server" computer with local users. Of course setting up the folders with share permissions, etc. as described above is great, but without the local security, anyone can get to the other's stuff easily. If security is of no concern, then just ignore me. <smile>

We have a W2k Pro workstation in our front room that we use as a file server on our home network. Visitors using our front computer don't have access rights to the folder shares at all. We have a local user set-up on that front room computer that we use when attaching to that computer with our drive mapping batch file.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back