Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using 2 video cards at once, conflicts!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnjd

Technical User
Aug 4, 2002
US
I have a geforce 2 mx400 and some intel card. I was wondering if I could use both at once for more power. The geforce is a pci and the intel is an agp. If I enable both I get cant get my settings tab open. Please help!

You may have some IRQ conflict here, so take a look at configuration, one by one. Take out one of the cards, or the Gforce, if the Intel is onboard, and make sure they're on different IRQs. Depending on the number of devices attached to the system, you may or may not have IRQs left for the purpose.

Running two video cards into the same monitor? I haven't done that yet. However, if one of the cards is faster than the other, it does not make any sense, since the slower one will inherently drag down the faster one. It's like two trains coupled, one faster the other slower, running on the same track. Even if you have two of the same speed, they won't add up. You'll see everything at the same speed, and this is best case, because the system will have to forward twice the data when you have the two cards workig in the same time. You may also end up speed-wise with the difference between the two speeds, which will further slow the system down. It's worth a try, just to play around a bit, for your own edification, since you've already got the cards. I'd use these cards for two monitors if you need it.

Everyone correct me if I am wrong.

John

What OS? Supported on later ones but not on earlier. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Check your BIOS, you should have some kind of PCI Palette Snoop, or Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA option, or PCI bus Matering. Make sure this is enabled. This will allow your system to check your PCI slots for video cards, and reserve an IRQ for video requests.

As Sylva mentioned, unless you are running 2 monitors, there is no benefit, only hassles.

Russell

Unless GFX cards are specially made to be made to work together (like V2's were in SLI mode) you won't gain anything, if it works at all.

If you have an onboard AGP & a PCI Video card then try to install the OS using the onboard card, after that you can install the other PCI VGA card. This will resolve your issue. Your system will recognize both the display cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back