Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using 2 versions of Access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

clem

Technical User
Dec 5, 2000
US
Help! I am using two versions of Access (Version 2000 @ home and Version 97 @ work). Has to be that way - very few people at work have Access 2000 - 98% have Access 97. I bring my Access 97 database home, convert it to 2000, work on it, and when I'm done convert it back to Access 97. However, during my converting back to '97 I always get the message "Your computer is missing at least one of the Microsoft Access Object Libraries. Your converted database will not work until you open this database Using Access 97 and then fix any missing references.

Then I go to work and open the converted Access '97 database and get a message (I can't remember the exact verbage as I am home now asking this question, but it is something to the effect that I needed to open any module in '97 and run a Debug. Well, for quite some time this method worked fine, but something happened that now when I bring the database to work and go through the motions of debugging, it acts likes it works until I try to open "mostly charts" and I get a message something like "it's too complicated to process." I might mention here that I think that there used to be a module in my databases - maybe something like a default module - that doesn't seem to be there anymore - maybe worded as IsLoaded??????.

HOWEVER, If I create a brand new database and import all my tables, queries, charts, macros, etc. over to the new database, everything works fine. This is getting to be quite a nuisance!!

I might mention that I have done all my databases to this point without the use of code (excluding the wizards that I may use), and if I may say, I have done some pretty "clever" things. But, for all of you are are probably shuddering right now, I am reading a book on Access VBA 2000 and am going to venture out very soon. Wow! I didn't mean to take up so much space, but I didn't know how else to present this aggrevating situation.

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about????

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes, I have had the same headache. I have found out that it doesn't work very well to go back and forth. There are different reference libraries in both versions, and some of the VBA will not be recognized. It is worse when you go from 2000 back to 97. I have done the same thing with importing objects to a new database. All I would say is find a way to avoid having to do that. So far, it sounded like you were doing all you can do.(or atleast all I have ever known about doing) Anyone have more ideas on how to make converting easier? Maybe you could install Access 97 on your machine and just open that database in 97 and leave 2000 for your other stuff. I don't think there is a problem having both on a machine. You just have to remember to open Access 97 first and then open the database, otherwise it will automatically try to open in the newer version. Dawn

Dawn

Thanks for your quick response dawnd3 - I appreciate your input.

I have tried to install Access 97 on my computer here at home - after going through the installation process, and then logging into Acess 97, it said "only one license could be registered on this computer" or something close to that. So I uninstalled it, then tried to log on to Access 2000; then it said "couldn't find blah blah blah" and I was unable to log into 2000. I had to reinstall Access 2000.

When I installed 97, I even put it in its own directory, but that didn't help! I searched Microsoft for a solution and found a step-by-step procedure to successfully install it. However, the very first instruction was to find a font called hatten.ttf and rename it long enough to do the installation. I found the font and tried to rename it, but strangely, I was not able to do anything to the font except delete it - the re-name and copy features were not options. I noticed that when I went into the Windows/Font directory, it said something like files in this directory need not be changed.

I purchased my system in January from Dell and it came loaded with Microsoft Office - Windows 2000 Professional. I called Dell support right before I posted my plea here for help and the Dell Rep told me that they did not support more than one version of any software on a system; that it only leads to serious problems and he would not tell me how to by-pass not being able to re-name the font. He gave me the number of Dell's software support team and when I called them for help, the message was "have your credit card ready and that consultation would be a minimum of $29.95." So much for that!! I hung up. . . .

So here I am, working at home and hoping that all my time is not wasted when I get to the office.

Ok, well I think we need some other's input here....:)

Yes: it's a real mess, and no: I don't know how to get around it neatly. One warning, though: using VBA-code will mess things up even more...

I have Access 97, Access 2000 and Access 2002 on my machine and have very few problems. The key to success is the order of installation. Follow the lonk below, this should give you all the info you need for the two versions you speak of.

As for your "License Error" in Access 97, go to this location for what to do.

HTH
RDH Ricky Hicks

Thanks for your input Ricky.

I have already referred to this site and started to follow the instructions. There are 3 differnt scenarios as to how to load the appliclations. I tried to follow the scenario when Access 2000 is already installed. As I said previously, the first instruction was to find the hatten.ttf file and rename it to hatten.sav before installing Access 97. To my surprise, I was not able to rename or copy this font file. I have a feeling Dell did something to not allow changes in the Windows directory. The Dell Rep was very arrogant when I tried to discuss this situation with him. He said they (Dell) do not support putting two versions of Access on the same computer - it only leads to a myriad of serious problems. I purchsed the Windows 2000 Office Professional and the Miscrosoft Professional Package when I purchased my computer in January of this year- it came loaded by Dell.
Do you or anyone else know how to get around this font modification limitation? He just "right out" told me he wasn't going to tell me how to do it. The only option available was to delete the hatten.ttf file, which I do not want to do - I have a feeling it is associated with something more important.

I don't know what to do at this point.

You should have been able to rename the file unless you had a program open that was using the file at the time. Make sure all unnecessary programs are closed and try to rename it again or just try this next procedure.

Check and see if this is the article you are refering to.

If you will scroll down the page you will see a hyperlink entitled "Download Aclicn97.exe now". If you will download this utility it will fix the problem for you. Just follow the instruction given at the URL above.

HTH
RDH Ricky Hicks

I would just like to add - "good plan" to the previous post. I too had the font problem when I initially wanted to run 2 versions of the same machine. I was however able to rename font so...

I do think that Dawn is right about just opening it in 97 if you can get it installed though. The problem (one of) with Access is that most Microsoft products - rely on OCX or DLL's to run. This eventually leads to version problems
(which sounds like the problem you are having.)

I am intruged as to why you are unable to rename the font though. Perhaps you can tell us if it comes up with a specific error and how you are going about trying to rename the file.

Cheers..

P.S The Dell response does not suprise me ;).

Just a thought I had while reading this post...... try starting up in "safe mode" then when you come up, try to rename the file then, or try to move it to another directory.

Just my $0.02 :)

Thanks so much to everyone for all your input! Here's what I suspect, but maybe I beginning to get a little paranoid about now ;>).

When I go into the Windows Directory, here is what it states before showing the files: "This folder contains files that keep your system working properly. There is no need to modify its contents. Select an item to view its description." Then when I find the font and right-click on it, the only option available is "delete". The "copy" and "rename" options are greyed out. I did close everything as Ricky suggested, but it doesn't matter - still not able to rename that font or any other font in the directory. I also noticed that when I view the file it shows that I am opening it with "Font Viewer", whatever the heck that is! Dell has done something pretty slick here, I think. I am not a computer expert by any means, but something seems very "fishy".

Curtterp, you said try opening in safe mode. I have no idea what that means. Our IS person at work today said maybe I could try renaming it in DOS; is that what you mean by "safe mode"?

Again, thanks to everyone for your responses. I will keep working on this, but if anyone has any idea about this Windows Directory thing, please let me know what you think.

Just a thought.. but maybe Dell have made these files "Read Only". Check this by highlighting the file and selecting "Properties" from the pop-up menu.

If the "Read Only" flag is checked - click on it to un-tick it. You should then be able to rename the file. The other way is to do this from DOS - yes. Im beting on the read only theory though.

Clem,
Sorry about the delay here.. I forgot to put on email notify

Safe mode is when you can get into windows with a minimal amount of drivers. I dont know what Windows software your using but here goes.

Win9x, me after the bios check, before the windows screen comes up, hit the F8 button about every 5 sec. You should get a startup menu up. Then chose safe mode.

Again... sorry for the delay

Curt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back