Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using 2 network cards in 1 PC....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahnval

Technical User
Jun 21, 2001
GB
I was asked a question I couldn't answer, so I'm passing it on :cool:

Someone I know is looking into using his cable TV company as an ISP, since they do a good 24/7 flat-fee access deal. They've told him that he'll need to plug a cable from their box into a network card in his PC. The problem is that he already has a network of PCs in his home. The cable company said he'd need to install 2 network cards in the PC, one for his home network and one for the link to the cable company as his ISP, but they didn't recommend doing so. What he wants to do is to have all the PCs in his home able to connect to the internet, sharing the connection to his cable company ISP. Can this be done, and if so how? My knowledge of networking is pretty weak, so I have no idea. Is there a technical reason why the cable company doesn't recommend it, or do they not recommend it because they'd rather he paid for separate connections for each of his PCs?

TIA

They don't recommend it because they get calls requesting help making internet sharing work. And when it doesn't work it can be ugly.
Two nics is how you make it work. They work fine.
I'd advise deleting existing network stuff on the internet server, pulling the card, installing the cable modem card and adding what needs to be for the internet. Then adding the network stuff back in. This will get around some potential addressing problems that are easier fixed later than sooner. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Both options posted are good ideas. However, there are a few questions.

How many PCs are in the network? What software are they running? Is there a hub or switch in the system?

I would dedicate a machine as an internet server and install as Ed suggests. The set up a firewall to protect the whole network. Since cable modems are on 24/7 this gives someone a better chance of getting into your network.

There are several decent software firewalls out there. This link is an analysis of several different ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back