Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using 2 devices at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jl123

Technical User
Feb 28, 2003
PT
I just run a full backup to a single machine localy and noticed TMS is using only one drive. Since my server has 2 drives configured how can I force it to use both at the backup time.

regards
Jorge

You can change the "Maximum Mount Points Allowed: 1."

Do a "q node f=d". You can change that max mount point to 2 temporarily for a node if you want to do a full backup and speed it up...

Just watch that you don't hold up other processes that may look for drives...

Thanks for the tip but I changed that value and started a client backup from the gui and only one tape was mounted for my backup.
I also checked the value from devclass mount limit that is set to DRIVES and forced it to the value 2 but had the same result and passed it back to DRIVES.
Any more sugestions?

Regards
Jorge

you can backup to a tsm diskpool, then backup diskpool to tapepool and use the maxproc=2. Aside from that I don't know of a way to force the client to go to multiple drives... I have a diskpool set up as my primary stg pool, then I migrate to tape later (during the day when the TSM server is not busy)

If your client has multiple filespaces, then you can run parallel backup sessions.

For example, if I want to backup /fs1 & /fs2, then at a command prompt:

dsmc incr /fs1 &
dsmc incr /fs2 &

will start two parallel sessions.

Provided policy management settings are such that the backup data is directed to tape, then this will bring about the behaviour you desire. Automating it will be trickier, as you will need to write scripts/batch files :)

Kind Regards,
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

Thanks for your help, I think the idea of sending 2 filespaces at diferent times will do the trick :)

Regards
Jorge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back