Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

users 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fumei

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
CA
Hi gang.

Can't think of a better place to toss this out.

I have been asked to come up with a better term than "users".

This is a rather old issue really. However, apparently...ahem..."staff"...really hate it when they see "user" or "users" in documentation.

Within the tech community (application developers, network people etc), no doubt we will still use "users". Simply because that is what they are.

However, I am open to any and all suggestions for a different term when we are distributing stuff to, hmmmm, staff.

Of course, context is important. Personally, I think "all staff" is perfectly acceptable when it is communication directed to all staff. Like:

"All staff are reminded that downloading programs from the Internet is not permitted."

Ideas? What can we use instead of "users"?

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

They could be ab-users, in which case you'd have a PICNIC ... (P)roblem (I)n (C)hair (N)ot (I)n (C)omputer

We also (quietly) refer to them as "stumps

Actually, the point re: User Name in password dialogs is a very good one. In fact, I think I will include that in my report.

Gerry

I don't think there's an easy way round this, but if you target your communications, you can use the word "you".

Rosie
"Don't try to improve one thing by 100%, try to improve 100 things by 1%

You know, as I think about this....

I believe that most of our all-staff correspondence goes to "all staff". "Staff are reminded..." "Staff should log off..."

Although in retrospect.... (and after logging into my company e-mail to look lol) I see that one of our senior admins made a comment about "all computers being left on... this includes laptop users...."

However, users in that case is used as a verb, not a noun....

Of course, what the IT staff among themselves calls the... ummm... non-IT savvy employees... is totally different than what we would call them to their faces. ;)

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Users? As a verb? Are you sure?

Colleagues perhaps? No, I thought not.

I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

Alan Bennett.

gbaughma said:
...this includes laptop users...."

Actually, "users" in your case IS a noun, not a verb. "Laptop" is used to describe the type of users, and would be considered an adjective, describing the noun, "users."

I hope there are some English majors out there who can correct me if I'm wrong on this one...

Therefore, in the phrase, "computer users" the word "computer" must be an adjective as well. Likewise, in "car drivers" or "cinema goers", the car and the cinema must be also be adjectives. A user uses something and that something is identified by a noun, not an adjective.

If you say "a person uses a computer", then "computer" is indeed a noun in that sentence. But I believe that if you say "a computer user", "user" is the noun that is being qualified by "computer."

Either way, "user" is not a verb, it is a noun.

This may be a good time to introduce the attributive noun.

Simply put, an 'attributive noun' is a noun that in context, functions as an adjective. In the above phrases, 'laptop' and 'computer' are attributive nouns.

To be an attributive noun, three standards must be met.
1 - The term, as is (not another form of the term), is a noun in its own right
2 - It precedes another noun that it qualifies or classifies
3 - Cannot be used in reverse order like normal adjectives

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Sorry... I is usually wrong in grammar. ;)

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Question:

When did 'user' become a bad word? And why? I've been around some pretty low-tech people but never anyone who thought 'user' was a dirty word (when refering to computers, not other addictive things). I can see where some people might be intimidated by the word 'user' and would likely be upper-management who are typically the furtherest away from actually having to do things on a computer, but I don't understand how someone could consider it a bad word...

Understanding why the word 'user' is thought to be such a bad word could help?

gbaughma...you were only half-wrong...I was too.

Thanks for the info Cajun. I don't remember ever learning about the attributive noun in school...then again, I don't remember a lot of things from school. [dazed]

I am not sure why, for some, it has become a "bad" word. I am not even sure that it is being thought of as a bad word. All I know is apparently a number of - ahem, staff - have made comments that they do not like being called users. I have been asked to try and get a better word, or phrase.

I have stated that actually using a lot of MY time to do this is, in fact, a waste of time.

I tossed it out here as I thought you folks would have possible suggestions. Mostly though, I tossed it out here because I knew there would be amusing suggestions.

I have not been disappointed.

Gerry

Team Member seems to be the new standard.
Worker may work also.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

fumei -

It seemed to me reading through this that people were calling it a PC issue and I simply couldn't fathom it ever being a PC issue (a fear/intimidation issue maybe). Thats why I inserted the 'bad' into it.

I think you should find the most common document and replace every instance of 'user(s)' with 'ABC(s)' or 'transformer(s)' and give it back to them. Ask them if that is any better ;p Tell them that is as effective as using any other arbitrary word that is adopted not for preciseness reasons but for fluff reasons.

If that won't fly, how about:

EDAs (Electronic Device Administrators)
PTMs (Prized Team Members)
Manipulators (the manipulator should then...)
NITs (Non-InfoTechs)

If you want to destroy morale...

Mental Commodities (reverse euphamism for worker)
Human Capital
Human Cattle
Seat Warmers Until Robots are Available
Seat Warmers Until Outsourcing Happens

Maybe since Crackhead/pothead is another word for user in one context, computerhead is also appropriate...

I've been mulling this over on the bus home from work but refrained from commenting because I couldn't (and still can't) come up with anything as concise, precise, and as widely understood as 'user'.

Geez, is preciseness even a word? It should have been "precision reasons" or even better "adopted for reasons other than precision"

I dislike Mountain Dew but right now its the only thing keeping me going at work... thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Apparently it is, when alone as a noun, but I tried to use it as an adjective didn't I?

You know what? Screw it. I am going to say that we can try to minimize using "user(s)" - after all, it is very likely that documentation can be written without overuse of the term.

However, if it HAS to be used, then...we will use it.

I mean, there are many examples of commercial software containing a "User Guide". So it is not like it is truly a perjorative term. Get over it.

Let's drop this one, unless someone wants to contribute more silly ones. Users they are, and users they shall be.

Sheeesh.

Gerry

I've used the term "clients" or "IT clients" in this situation. It sounds pretty high-toned. You could also use "IT customers".

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back