Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users unable to access work saved in My Documents areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

novice8

Instructor
Nov 26, 2002
GB
Please help, I'm new to this game!
I've just inherited a W2K network - recently some/most users are unable to open their My Document folders or access any work which has previously been saved to them. Quite frustrating in a school situation!
If we try to locate work through software and browse My Documents - area appears empty - it's not because I can locate files when logged on as administrator.
Any suggestions please ASAP (in simple terms)
Thanks

Do you know if teachers or, whoever is trying to locate those documents;
1)Were saving those documents on a network folder?
2)Do they have individual accounts on the network?
3)Are they usinig Home Directories?
4)Are they using profiles stored on the server?

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Thanks for the reply koquito
All are using individual accounts within one group of users and are trying to access/save into their own my Documents folders.

It sounds as though they are logging into a different domain, which will create all new profiles.. with empty my document folders. If you can go into the documents and settings folder and you see the documents there, You need to determine which profiles are being currently used and copy the files from the old profiles to the new ones. CCIE,MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);MCNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA

Noble Computing, Inc.
Consulting
215-512-8200
kshaffer@noblecomputing.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back