Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users Unable to Access Nested Share 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrennan

MIS
Aug 1, 2002
US
I am in the process of migrating from Netware 5.1 to Windows 2003. I am setting up shared folders for the seperate departments. The share resides on a DC. Here's an example of my structure:

Share (Everyone Default Read permissions)
---Accounting (accounting group has full control, inher. blocked)
------Budget 2004 (Ineritted permissions from above)
-----------Clara (Clara has default read acccess)
---DWS (Clara Has Full control, INH Blocked)

Clara can connect to the share and access teh DWS folder in the share, but she cannot access her nested folder inside of accounting. She is blocked at the accounting folder. I've tried setting the "List Folder Contents" option on the accounting folder, and it will let her drill down to her share. But it also allows her to see the entire structure of the Accounting folder, as well as its contents. Although she cannot access these files, the ability to see everything is undesireable.

Is there an easy way to set permissions to allow someone to Drill down to folders they have access to without seeing all the files along the way?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Keith

Your best bet would be to enable a share on the subfolder.

You can not unfortunately, block her from seeing the other folders.

Keep in mind the way that NTFS and share permissions combine. The most restrictive wins.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

You confirmed what I feared. I really have no desire to get "Share crazy", as that is just increased administrative overhead (read as work for me).

File and print sharing are places MS really gets owned by even 5 year old novell products.

Keith

I think what you are looking for would be to set the Share permissions to full control and then thoroughly lock down all of the NTFS permissions at the shared folder and all sub folders.

That will give you the behavior you are used to seeing from Novell.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back