Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users taking over active connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonteponte

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2004
SE
Hello there,

I have a small group of users that use the same username to log in. They are all running the same application, Desktop. The problem arises when 1 user is already logged on and the next user that starts Desktop logs on to the same server (load-balanced) as user nr 1. The user nr 2 then takes over user nr 1's connection and user nr 1 is disconnected.

As far as I can tell I'm allowing a user to run multiple instances of the same application, and that does work as long as the user doesn't end up on the same server.

I'd be most grateful for tips!

jonteponte,
The problem is that when a user connects to a published application...the datacollector is going to try to determine if there is already an existing session out there.
The datacollector will determine this by USERNAME or CLIENTNAME. So when you have all of these users connecting as the same user account to a single published application....well...here you are.

What version of Citrix are you running?
Why a single username?...why not explicite user accounts from a domain?

Hello there and thanks for the reply!

I'm running presentation server 4, we previously ran Metaframe XP and had the same setup with no problems. The reason for using one single account is that there is a large group of users that need access now and then to the same mail. We're running Lotus Notes and this has always been the easiest solution.

I understand what you're saying, and I would have agreed if it was only disconnected sessions that were reconnected. I can't see the logic behind taking over active connections.

On a side note, disconnected sessions aren't handled correctly either, if a user has disconnected and logs on again he'll only get his session back if the datacollector happens to redirect him to the same server. Same thing with my problem above, the sessions only gets taken over if the user happens to end up on the same server as user nr 1. So I'm guessing something isn't correctly configured.

This is from my Presentation Server 4 manual, on ICA Keep-Alive settings:

"In the event that a user experiences a dropped connection, the user can reconnect and resume using the application only if the connection is in a disconnected state".

This indicates to me that a session should not be "resumed" if it's in an active state, as is the case for us.

jonteponte,
Good point on the disconnected session.
Do you have session reliability turned on at the farm level?
If so... you might want to turn that off and try testing it out.

You can configure this by opening up your CMC and right-clicking at the top level of the farm and going to properties.
There should be a session reliability option in there and you can simply uncheck it.

I'll do some more research on this issue and see if I can provide any more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back