Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users take a while to logon to Exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Dec 12, 2002
GB
Hi, I am running a Exchange 5.5 server and clients complain to me that they take ages to connect to the server throught their Outlook 2k. When I ping the IP it replies instantly, but when I ping the server name it takes ages. If I do the same for all other servers it's ok. I have noticed that it seems to be the PC's using DHCP that have the problem, but when I check the IP settings they all seem fine, I even stopped using DHCP on one client and added a static address that the DHCP server gave out and it worked fine, the connection was instant. The PC's are running Win98, I also noticed that the Win2k PC's using DHCP are fine....I'm just lost on where to go! I Have tried adding the IP address and host name to the LMhost file like this 10.10.10.10 <servername> but it makes no diference when I thought it should.

Hope you can help

Andy

I recall that its an issue with the name resolution method order - a simple solution would be to create a HOSTS file that sets the exchange server naem against it's IP address and use this on any slow PC (hosts file is one of the first resolution methods used). There may be a registry hack to change the resolution order for 98 (DNS, WINS, HOSTS, braodcast etc)

Alternatively, when you configure outlook, use the IP address rather than it's name when setting up the exchange server profile.

my first suspect is Windows Messenger... make sure that the box is unchecked in Outlook>>>
Tools/Options/Other checkbox says 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook' uncheck the box.
Exit Outlook and see if the connection speed is improved.

Andy

As alluded to already the issue is with name resolution, Outlook uses DNS first for name resolution. I'm unsure of the order for the other name resolution methods i.e WINS and LMHosts.

If you wish to use a server name then the best course of action is to create an entry for the server in your dns environment.

I think Outlook uses the plain hosts file before DNS (different from LMHOSTS).

maybe my earlier message was unhelpful, but the only time I EVER have to use the hosts file is for remote users who dial in via modem (as opposed to using OWA). Sure the issue sounds a little like the Outlook client is slowly working it's way through different protocols until it connects but something doesn't ring true if other clients connect okay and all installs are standard - you didn't configure a different protocol order. Your exchange server has a static IP yes? Your DHCP server range doesn't include that address? The answer to your problem is undoubtedly close, but I don't believe the client protocol is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back