Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users home directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

richclever

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2000
FR
My Win 98 clients run a script that creates a home directory on an NT4 server (if it does not exist), and then remaps it as the My Documents folder, so that a user sees his/her documents from any client machine. However, when this directory is created on the server it is assigned evryone permissions with full access. Is there any way of assigning permissions to the directory when it is created so that only the user that the folder belongs to has access?

All help gratefully recieved. I work at a school, so essays etc, and teachers files need to be secure. [sig][/sig]

New folders will always inherit the NTFS perms of the parent directory. What you could do is use calcs.exe in conjuction with the %USERNAME% variable to change the NTFS perms after the directory has been created. However, you'd probably be better off creating directories, shares etc. when you setup the ID. [sig][/sig]

I have tried this, and although it works I really need it to run when the directory is created. I have tried to use NT logon scripts, but this just runs it on the client which does not work. Is there any way of getting the client to trigger the script to run on the server. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back