Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users hear themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuterBD

Programmer
Jul 2, 2008
US
Hi Gang,

I'm having a weird issue!! A few weeks ago we upgraded our customer's IP Offices to 4.2 (14). They have 9 different sites and only one of them has been complaining of this problem since then.

This site in particular has about 10 users. They are all complaining that they can hear themselves while talking on their phones. It doesn't matter if they are internal or external calls. They explain it as that after they say something into the receiver, a split second later they can hear what they just said. Everybody there is using 5610 phones.

I am not sure what other information you might need, but I would be glad to supply whatever I can. Any help is much appreciated.

Turn off "skitsofrenic" in the telephony options.

Avaya_Red.gif

LOL.....is dmp(direct media path) on?

Extension > Voip tab

Avaya_Red.gif

LOL! "Allow Direct Media Path" is checked, yes.

turn it off, reboot the IPO

Avaya_Red.gif

Then get your routing and QoS sorted out if that fixes it :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

Are you using voice VLAN's in the network?
If not, let have someone look at the switches/network and create a Data and Voive VLAN and like riddle says turn on QOS then.

This will solve a lot of problems

Avaya_Red.gif

Yes, they have VLANs setup for voice/data. Turning off Direct Media Path doesn't seem to have helped sadly. They have an office and a construction trailer outside of the office and are now reporting that if someone is on the phone in the office and someone is on the phone in the trailer that the person in the office can hear the person in the trailer talking through the phone.

Any ideas?

on the IP Phones try to turn on AGC on the handset/headset

Avaya_Red.gif

AGC was turned on. They turned it off and said it helped somewhat, but the problem still exists. That's a good start though, so thanks. Have any other suggestions possibly?

Do they have the volume all the way up ?
This can cause this too

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Ive had this same problem with a site recently using 16xx phones - Avaya have recently added an Echo Return Loss to the VCM tab of the system section.

I tried setting it to all the different levels 0, 3, 6 and 9 and since changing it to 9 almost a month ago now I have had no further complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back