Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users dropping connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

karenM

MIS
Apr 28, 2001
US
I have a 2 server farm running Win2K and Metaframe 1.8. We have about 40 users on published or remote desktops working on database,Goldmine, email and some Microsoft Office.
The boxes are dual proocessors with a 1 gig ram each. I have users coming over a frame relay T1 connection and over the internet. The boxes reboot every night and have the latest patches on.
What is happening is that the users are being dropped thruout the day..both on the T1 and the internet. Sometimes 4 to 5 times a day in the midst of working. I have looked at the event log to see if anything there corresponds without finding anything..Has anyone seen this kind of behaviour before? It is infuriating the management and the users have no faith in the system..any help would be greatly appteciated..or where to look to discover what is causing the problem.

I have seen similar behaviour where there have been ISP-related restrictions.

You could also adjust the MaxIdle or MaxDisconnect timeouts.

Hope this helps

CitrixEngineer, could you elaborate on the ISP part? This happens for our remote clients on DSL and dial-up. It would be great STOP this issue...thanks for your response!

CitrixEngineer
Do you have settings you suggest?
FYI I am seeing this issue more on thin clients than PCs
Thank you

In the simplest cases it's been because the ISP has a timeout on the connection. You would need to contact your ISP to check that this is not happening. In worst case scenarios, I've come across ISPs who were supposed to be Citrix aware and had placed restrictions on the use of port 1494!

This should help if you're using a cable connection;

The older win32 clients are fairly poor when it comes to dealing with high latency - have you tried upgrading to the latest client? Are you running MetaFrame SP2?

Try updating this registry key;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\TcpMaxDataRetransmissions = 10

If you still have issues, see what sort of latency you get on ping times, from the client to the M/F server. You really want around 100-150ms tops (although some might say that's too much!).

I hope this helps

If you're running the latest Service Pack (2), you can take advantage of the ICAKeepAlive feature by adding and enabling these Registry values;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Citrix\IcaEnableKeepAlive: REG_DWORD: 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Citrix\IcaKeepAliveInterval: REG_DWORD: [number in seconds]

See also Microsoft Knowledgebase Articles Q120642 and Q170359

..and, by the way, it's now Service Pack 3 for MetaFrame!

If your users are going through a firewall. Check the timeout configuration on the firewall. I had to increase the inactivity timeout period on our Gauntlet firewall because of client disconnects.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back