Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

users do not have permissions to change password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul123456

Technical User
Apr 29, 2002
US
i got a domain user that when it ways password has expired and the user goes to change it and presses ok it say "u do not have permissions to change password" i thought that the "user cannot change password" checkbox was checked but it wasn't. aslo added another domain user to see if the same would happend and it did. i checked the default GPO policy for password in security but there wasn't anything out of the ordinary.
what am i missing ? Thanks, PAUL

no this is a w2k server with all xp pro machines. i created a new user (domain User) and gave a easy password at hit the "user must change password at next logon" but again when i log in it says account has expired plesa bla bla bla then when i enter my new password to change it after i press it says "u do not have sufficient privlegedes" i don't understand please help Thanks, PAUL

Check their local workstation rights. If the local rights stay they can't change the password it will over-ride the domain rights. New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

hi,
try this:
in active directory right click on your domain and open the security tab.click advanced find authenticated users click modify and on the "apply onto" scroll to users object and you will find there the option for changing password Eran
erans@convergys.co.il

darrangl could be correct. When I first started having my w2k machines join the domain, and not log on locally, they couldn't even install software we gave them. Had to go into local admin group and make the users members of the group admin. Make sure the account is domain\user and not local\user when you add them. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"There is nothing like a dream to create the future."
Victor Hugo (1802-1885); French writer.

There is a known issue with people being unable to change their passwords at the login screen... I don't remember the fix for it, but you can serach around on here or Microsoft's website and you should find it. CJ
- Jr. Rocket Man

i found the problem for those of u who like to learn. i had change back the registry key for anonymous connection to 0 from 2. this is a security issue that microsoft came out with and recommended changing it to 2, u can look that up, and some of u might know this, anyways when i did this it didn't allow the users to change their password causing my problem. i did go into the security of the domain and grant the users allow to change but that didn't work. thats for replying though
heres to whit papers

GL! Thanks, PAUL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back