Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

users dialing 911 by mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyphones

Technical User
Jan 14, 2014
CA
we have avaya ip office . to dial an external number the users have to dial "9" and if its outside local area they need to dial "1"

by mistake some of the users are dialling 911 . how can we change this 9 to something else to dial external calls.

thanks

modify the short code from 9 to 8, pretty simple. change from 9N TO 8N, Just make sure to let the users know this

Don't just do the above, also remove the 11 code from the ars table (so people don't dial 811).
BUT MAKE SURE that you also make an emergency shortcode for 911 otherwise PEOPLE MAY DIE and that is a terrible way to run a business.

-Austin
I used to be an ACE. Now I'm just an Arse.
qrcode.png

Thre's a FAQ section for this forum. Greybeard wrote up a very nice answer to this issue. You will find it here

the only way they would be able to dial 811 to get to the 911 service you would have to create a short code to do this, this is why I didn't mention it

ARS table has a 11 shortcode by default. If you change 9N to 8N and make no other changes 811 would dial 911. If you change to 8N, you need to remove 11 and 911 from ARS and add 911 shortcode to the system shortcodes. This is all covered in the FAQ linked too a long with the other option of slightly delaying dialing and barring anything 911+.

we only had to change the 11 code not the 911 code in ars, so you dial 8 and then 911 would be fine, the 11 would need a short code for it to work

Carrie's law (spelling) in the US mandates dialling 911 from any phone and having it work

Gunpoint 132 and Bush.Cover's code three

Yup, as holdmusic stated, it is actually a law that you MUST be able to dial 911 and reach 911. So while 8911, 9911, 811 dialing 911 are ok 911 MUST dial 911. So, if you change the 9N shortcode to 8N or any other number, you MUST add a system shortcode of 911. It seems like Avaya should just make this a default system shortcode remove the 11 ARS shortcode and be done with it. Until they do, however, you MUST do this.

thank you all of you.

where do i change this shortcode from 9 to 8. i am a newbie to ipo office

If you can't figure out how to change the shortcode from 9 to 8 I suggest contacting a professional to help you program and maintain your system for you. Production systems are not the place to learn the ropes of a phone system.

echoing what critchey said, if you cannot follow the FAQ referenced in a couple of the posts above, you have no business mucking around with a production system in any way, and most certainly NOT in any changes related to E911 services.

Yikes.

Call someone in who knows what they are doing before someone dies.

GB

It'd certainly put the fun in funeral.

I never want to hear these words from a coroner's report about my work:
Damning evidence, sweeping changes, poorly implemented, resulted in and gross negligence.

Gunpoint 132 and Bush.Cover's code three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back