Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users changing Wallpaper HOW TO STOP???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bran2235

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
Ok, this is to all of you CTX Admins... We have a locked down desktop but it's not "that" locked down... I am using AD/ GPOs to lock my CTX SVRs down... Have disabled Display in Control Panel, etc... Disable Active Desktop, etc...

However, I must give my users access to MS Paint = PROBLEM. In Paint, you can copy an image, and then File\Save As Wallpaper, etc... I don't want them to be able to do this!! Does anyone know how I can disable this? or even a script by chance that will change their wallpaper back to defualt (regkey changes) at login??

Please help!! Much Appreciated!!!

Brandon

Thanks Dave, but we already visited this... My users must have MSPaint or I would just simply delete it from their start menu. I am using customized start menus...

Thanks for the reply though!
Brandon

There is a Policy that will not save any changes they make. If you look under User Configuration-> Admin Templates-> Desktop. Don't save settings at exit. Whenever they log off it will revert back to default...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Or use the Disable Wallpaper setting in the ICA Connection Settings to disable all wallpaper.

you could use ad to force users to have the background of your choice

Navigate to your main user Group
Right click Users and select properties
Select the “Group Policy” tab
Select the Windows Lockdown group policy and click Edit
Navigate to User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Desktop | Active Desktop
Double click Active Desktop wallpaper
Select the “Enabled” radio button
Specify the location and style of the desired wallpaper

HTH

Sean

you could use ad to force users to have the background of your choice then even if they select a backround from paint they wont see it

Navigate to your main user Group
Right click Users and select properties
Select the “Group Policy” tab
Select the Windows Lockdown group policy and click Edit
Navigate to User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Desktop | Active Desktop
Double click Active Desktop wallpaper
Select the “Enabled” radio button
Specify the location and style of the desired wallpaper

HTH

Sean

How do I make the .bmp or whatever type of file it wants?? I simply want a Blue (any color) wallpaper.. pretty simple.... thanks!!!

Brandon

Hey bran2235,
Just say what Jeffhicks said...Simply disable wallpapers within the CCC. I think it's in the client settings config button. You'll have to do this with every server so depending on how many servers you got...it could be a pain in the butt =)

I'll second forcing wallpaper using group policy. You can make a .bmp in most graphics programs, including MS Paint. Just save as .bmp.

ENIGMA AND JEFF HICKS,

When you overide wallpaper in the CCC, it does not prevent users from saving an image from MSpaint as 'wallpaper'... So this won't work- BUT THANKS anyways... :)

On the other hand, I think I am going to try and force a wallpaper using a GPO... This seems the easiest... This way, (I believe) if they manage to save an image as their desktop in paint, it will be over-written the next time they log back in (Because of the GPO that mandates the background..)

IS THIS RIGHT?? ANYONE???

Thanks,
Brandon

Yes, that's right. There is also a policy you can enable that prohibits changes to the desktop. I use this along with the policy to force a wallpaper on my terminal servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back