Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users cannot share files anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

slickgt1

MIS
Sep 19, 2002
US
Here is my deal. This is recent and i have no clue why it started happening.

I have two locations for users. One win NT4.0 server in location A. Location B has no server. Routers and switches are at both locations. The server assigns IPs to both locations. Location A has one range of IPs, and location B has another.

Now the problem. Before, i was able to set up sharing of printers and files between users at either location. Now, all of a sudden i cannot. When i go to available network printers from one user, i do not see any others. Even with this going on, all of the users log on to the server fine, and are able to use all the programs on the server and only the server.

This is really weird, and i thing is has something to do with DHCP manager. Can someone provide any suggestions. Thanx in advance.

I'm just suggesting, but have you checked the gateway settings on the PCs.

Are you running a domain, if not then perhaps local passwords have expired for remote users? Can the users on the same subnet still see the shares?

HOw are they connecting UNC? Can they ping the clients? Have you edited the hosts file? Give me more and I will help - or more likely hinder :) - more!

Iain

Are both locations on the same subnet. are you using domains and workgroups?

can you ping the computers \ devices you cannot see?

Give us more info.

jono

A good fortune may forbode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune.

Hey thanx for all the replies. I was thinking everyone was avoiding me. Plus i was sick for a few days so i didn't get a chance to look into this more.

Yes, i can ping the computers that i cannot see.
Every PC, that has win98 connects to the server via the Workgroup Option. WinXP and nt2k, connect via the domain option. Both use ACTNY as the domain or workgroup.

All of the PCs are on the same subnet, but most of the PCs do not have static IP.

The DHCP on NT4.0 assigns IPs to the Clients at both locations. One range to location A, and another range to location B. I just noticed today that there are no leases for the combuters in location B, yet they are getting IPs assigned from somewhere.

Also, all of the computers use the same exact LMHosts file.

Thanx for all of the help in advance.

SImple test: Where are your PC's getting there IP's?

LocationA: DHCP Server? i.e. 192.168.a.X? Look at TCP?IP config is it manually set or auto?

Whilst typing this I have had a "moment".

You say you can still connect to the server but not the clients' shares? If you are running a work group make sure that:
LocationB Users have NOT changed their passwords, and go onto LocationA's PC's and make sure that the LocationB's user setting are set to "Password Never Expires".

Suddenly this sounds like permissions and not connectivity.

(You can ping the clients using both UNC and IP? Ifso what are you using for WINS?)

Thanx again for the replies.

-All the passwords are set to never expire.
-Both locations can connect to the wins server
-I can share folders now by using the computers IP, or by mapping the folder using the same method. For example,
in my computer type, \\192.168.92.x\ShareFolder
This lets me connect to the share from one location to the other. I dont understand why i can only connect this way.
-Also, DHCP is automatically assigned by the NT4.0 server, but location B does not follow this, since i cannot see any leases on the server for the second location.
-Another thing i found out yesterday,
Location B cannot see the shares on Location B.
Location A cannot see the shares on location B.
Location A can see the shares on location A.
Location B can see the shares on Location A, but cannot access them, a message pops up saying that it does not have permission to access this drive, and to contact the administrator.

Wow that was a long post. Thanx again for suffering with me on this.

I think that reason you have to use IP to connect is that it is a WINS issue.

Try this for :
Location B can see the shares on Location A, but cannot access them

Make sure that the Local permisisions on LocA and LocB are identical "Bob" "Sept03" this is my kick off point let me know the result.

Iain

P.S. Can you ping using UNC names I've forgot if you can or not

Yes i can ping using UNC names. All the permissions seem to be the same for both ends. Should i try and Static IP every client?

No, try static on one and test.

Don't waste time doing them all

Just did, no dice. I bet it is something on the server itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back