Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users cannot open Access database

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoroaster

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
GB
I've created an Access 97 database on a separate server for users, which is populated on a weekly basis from a BE database which has links to the 'FE' tables and uses queries to delete the tables and then repopulate them using append queries, so to all intents and purposes the database should operate as a standalone database.

Users are trying to access the database with Access 2002, but some are getting the message
"The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(filepath)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."
This occurs when no-one else is using the database. They have full permissions to the folder within which the database is located, and I've not set up any database level security. There's no forms or FE, it's just a database containing 12 unrelated tables.

Anyone any idea what on earth could be wrong here???

Laters, Z

"42??? We're going to get lynched!

zoroaster,
is there an .ldb file in the folder?
did you try a compact and repair?
you say they have full permissions to the folder, do they have full permissions to the .mdb?
regards,
longhair

Aha! Eureka, thanks longhair, hadn't considered that the database permissions weren't inherited from the folder (doh!). At least I can console myself that I checked there were no lock files and tries a repair before I posted!

Many thanks, (fingers crossed)!

Laters, Z

"42??? We're going to get lynched!

If that does not work, check your ADOBE Acrobat installation(previous Tek-Tip thread saved my behind and my sanity on this one). If ADOBE Acrobat is installed with an option to load icons in MS Access on startup for Access, Access apparently interprets as a design change and locks out all subsequent users. This may not be your problem, but it is one worth repeating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back