Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users can open other users Mailboxs

Status
Not open for further replies.

timlau

MIS
May 10, 2002
US
Where do I go to stop users from opening other users inbox. At this time if any Domain user opens up Outlook and clicks on file and open other users inbox it allows them to others inboxs?

timlau

I believe what you want is to set passwords to each personal folders for Outlook. Go to Control Panel, click on the Mail icon, and select the properties for the Personal Folder(s). You cn then set a password for each profile's personal folder.

I believe you are not talking about .pst files, but you mean other users accounts on the Exchange server.
The only place I know where to set these permissions is in Outlook - TOOLS/OPTIONS/DELEGATES, but this is on a per user setting.

---------------------------------------
save a life - visit:

Well I found out what is happening. Under the Mailbox Rights under the exchange advanced tab in Active directory for Users I noticed that the everyone group is in there with Allow access checked in each permissions. I try to remove the everyone group but it gives me an error stating
"You Cannot Remove "everyone" Because this object is inheriting permissions from its parent. To Remove "everyone" you must prevent this object from inheriting permissions. Turn off the option for inheriting permissions, and then try removing "everyone" Again.

Does anybody know where I go to turn off the inheriting Permissions? It is easy to do on folders but where do I do in in active directory?

timlau

You don't won't to remove the everyone group. What you want to do is to grant the everyone group read permissions and nothing else.

I found out that I can change the proporities under the mailbox store. So I keep the everyone group in there? What permissions do I check then? I noticed that there is are the following Read Permissions.

Read
Read Permissions
Read Properties.

If I check Read Permissions it automatically checks Read, Execute. Is this okay?

timlau

Under ADU&C Properties of the users Exchanged Advanced-Mailbox Rights, The everyone group should just have the read permissions checked.

It does now...Thanks for your advise. Do you know why the everyone user has to be in there for read only access?

timlau

What are the minimal rights for the users for only to read other users mailboxes? I thought that read permission for everyone is enough to grant access to the mailboxes. But with read rights it's not possible to open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back