Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users can edit and save Read-Only Documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klssri

MIS
Nov 5, 2001
US
We have a problem with documents that users open as read only. It seems they can edit the document (sometimes accidently) and save it back to the server with their changes. Should it do this? My understanding is that when something is open as read-only you may be able to edit it, but you should not be able to save it with the same name and in the same location.

Hello,

If it is opened up as read-only you should as you say not be able to save it with the same name, overwriting the existing document. It is possible to open up the document as read-only and then from within the application set it to edit mode (atleast in Office 2007 applications).

I have never seen that someone that has open a document as read-only can overwrite a document, I have had problems where persons wanted to edit the document and did so, but when trying to save you receive an error. You can ofcourse save the document under another name or in another location.

It would sure be interesting to know if it is actually so that your users have been able to overwrite the document.

Cheers,
Thomas

We have tested it and, unless you only have reader rights you can edit the document. If you have pretty much anything beyond reader rights, you can edit the document that has opened as Read-Only and resave it with the same name and in the same location.

What type of documents are these? What application is being used?

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

So far we have found this happens with Word documents. We are currently using Office 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back