Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users are denied Portal Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberleaves

Programmer
May 24, 2003
GB
I have created a test MOSS 2007 local network:-
1 server hosting win2k3,Exchange, Sql svr 2005, MOSS 2007.
1 DC win2k3
1 User workstation winxppro.

I have been working through the Wrox "Beginning Sharepoint 2007 Administration" book which has been very helpful.
I have created a single server with sql 2005 setup, default site collaborated template (port 80), admin on port 5000, MySites on Port 5001. SMTP is working and sending test email requests to correct test email account. Imported User Profiles from AD ok. I can search fine and find my various test members from the user profile data.
All is good - EXCEPT - it only works when logged onto the server.
The User workstation has a fresh install of xp on it. Its on the domain and I can log in. The firewall is off. There is no proxy.
Start IE, enter (my default) I get the user/password box displayed. I enter the user (domain\user) and password - after 3 trys it fails.
If I enter I can reach the user MySites page though.
I added to Trusted Sites, ensured that Custom IE settings authentication has "automatic login with username and password" but it still prompts. I've picked through IIS management at the default site settings but it looks ok (not that I'm experienced to tell problems).

I'm now desperate!! Anyone have some suggestions for what I should be checking?
I looked in the IIS log file and it looks like when I navigate to (MySites), it lists the successful connection including the user name. When I enter the failing then it lists the error but has a dash "-" instead of showing the username. Is that a red herring?
Any groups need specifying for users? Or the default site?

Hoping someone can help! Thanks, Amber :)

Have you checked "automatic login in the Intranet zone"? Is your server in the Intranet zone?

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
Pity the insomniac dyslexic agnostic. He stays up all night, wondering if there really is a dog.

Hi Phil,
I put in the intranet zone and then back in the trusted zone. I had the same result in both.
Thanks, Amber.

>Have you checked "automatic login in the Intranet zone"?

I'll have to check that bit though....cannot remember.
Thanks, Amber

Yes the xp workstation has the in its intranet zone and automatic login is checked in the radio box under adv settings.
Still denied.
I'm hoping I'm missing something glaringly obvious! Is there anything else I shoudl check? Extra info needed to determine the fault?
Hope someone can help, Amber.

This might be a dumb question but have you added your users to the sites? You either have to add a group\users and asign them access as a contributor, viewer etc for them to see or view the site, even if they are in AD.

That is a valid point Jeff. I do have site owner, members etc configured. It was one of the last things I did though and could've easily overlooked after doing the AD import for user profiles.
I have a result though.
I checked the authentication settings again and noticed I had Kerberos selected. I switched to NTLM and everything came to life. My members could display the page no probs with their names listed at the welcome link. I also tried a non-member domain user who received the genuine Sharepoint "Access Denied" page.
Back to stumbling through my practice setup!

Incidentally - anyone recommend a good book for admin/walkthroughs for beginners?
Thanks for replying,Amber

I found the Microsoft 5061A Course Book to be pretty helpful in my installation. However I had already installed and set up the MOSS 2007 before I took the course. Thankfully I had found enough help beforehand that I did not have to redo the whole thing. It gave me the steps to implementing the 'crawler' and other things though that I did not know about.

JohnQTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back