Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

users & connecting to MSSQL on godaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangtrol

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2006
US
I'm seeking some guidance in connecting to an MSSQL database on godaddy.com. I have a database and table ready to go but I can't connect to it.

I don't see where I can create users or permissions.
I've managed MS SQL databases in the past on 2000 Server.

I'm attempting to use PHP Generator Wizard for MS SQL Server, by sqlmaestro.com -- first thing it tries to do is establish connection. I am sure that I'm entering the correct database name, username, and password (well, the basic username and pwd you create when you setup the database).

I get the following error:

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied

Thank you.

GoDaddy is probably blocking access to the SQL Server. They probably provide you with a web based tool which can be used to connect to the SQL Server.

You should contact GoDaddy support.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

I am able to see and work with the database on my account at godaddy, using the management tool they provide as part of my account.

What I cannot do is connect the way I described, mainly because I don't know how to create users (I guess).

Godaddy support has not been helpful.

There must be a table where I enter user names and permissions -- I guess that's where I need some guidance.

You won't be the one createing the username and password. They should have provided you with a username and password to use to connect.

Your best bet would be to contact GoDaddy support. There support is usually pretty good.

Denny
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)

My Blog

I do have a username and password, which work just fine at the godaddy website as part of my user account there.

I'm talking about the usernames and passwords that are deployed/configured so that the database can be accessed through PHP scripts by users that come to my website.

I need both a guest user and at least one other username that will have write privileges.

Typically all application access in done through a single user login. Access to the data is controller through the web page code it self.

GoDaddy will be the one who created the account which your PHP pages connect with.

Denny

My Blog

if you are trying to implement a website that requires users to login before accessing various areas this is typically done functionality built into your database. typicaly you have a users table that contains a username and password when a user logs in a stored procedure valiadtes that user input and communicates the results to your application.

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

I'm having trouble now trying to connect to a MySQL database that I was able to build on GoDadddy. I'm hoping that you successfully have connected to your database and can give me a couple of tips?

I'd so very much appreciate it any help you or any others can provide. I have the host name provided by GoDaddy - but still have not been successful connecting.

Turns out that godaddy will allow you to connect to databases on their server ONLY from pages on their server -- not from other sites and not from your pc. I discovered this when I sent a ping to the hostname of my site and it resolved to a private IP address -- I called them and it turned out that the database site is behind their firewall and only accessible from pages (as I said) on their server.

This makes it impossible to use scripting tools on your pc which require a connection to the database (from you pc).

Solution? I've moved my site to KIONIC.com, an excellent and very inexpensive hosting service with a control panel vastly superior to godaddy. Their tech support is very good, but only available, evidently, via email and chat.

I can now use a free PHP scripting tool, which I have to good effect, available from sqlmaestro.com.

GOOD LUCK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back