Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Userenv 1054 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokudan

MIS
Jul 24, 2007
CA
I am seeing this often now and can't seem to clear it.
I find every about 10 to 15 times per hour I get and error in my log Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (An unexpected network error occurred. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

The error code is 1054

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
I have tried all the recomendations provied by the Microsoft link to no avail.....suggestions?

Why dont you start a network sniffer and see what is happening at the tim eof the errors?

MCSE NT4, 2000, 2003

Almost always a dns related issue... run ipconfig /all on a workstation that's giving the errors and post it...

As well, run nslookup from a command line from the server and workstation. It should return your DC.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

It's not a workstation error it's on the server. NSlookup reports the correct DC. This never seems to happen when your looking. In most cases it seems to blow by without any ill effeects. But on one server I have a database engine that becomes disconnected from the front end application the same time this error pops up. I'm surprised this is not well known out of the dozen servers I look after 5 of them have this problem.

Well, there doesn't seem to be just one particular issue that causes this error. A range of issues from Group Policy problems, bad network adapter drivers, to issues with a firewall, and etc. seem to make this error pop up. Here is a link with some information about the problem and several different solutions that have resolved the issue. Maybe you can find something to help you in there under the 'Comments' section.

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP, Wireless#

Thanks for the tip Joey. I see in the link a reference to a AMD processor driver missing. I think all the servers with this problem are using AMD Processors.

I will post my results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back