Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User wants to disable phone when leaving 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

psalm62

MIS
Jan 23, 2003
US
I am running G3siV9. I have a manager who wants to disable his phone so when he is gone others cannot use it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I have tried the phone feature button "alternate facility restriction level" but cannot seem to get it to work.

Thanks in advance!!

psalm62

You could use the PSA feature. Are you familiar with that?

You can also use " user control restrict activation" to do this.
:)

How about allowing him TTI access and disassociate his phone with his port? Phonia
Telecom Goddess

Give the manager two speed dial buttons to TTI seperate and to TTI merge the phone.

And then unplug it and lock it in a drawer!

Susan
Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain

That sounds like a bettter idea, speed dial, then the manager won't have the TTI codes. It was a joke about locking in the drawer.

If the phone is disassociated from the port, won't the speed dial button to merge, not exist?

Just a thought...

Kris

kris-Good point on the button for merging back on not existing. Give the manager a button to TTI the phone out and the code to TTI it back in, only one code to remember.

JBantz, what is PSA?

I think Psalm 62 needs to get the manager into an office with a locking door! :) Or better yet, take some advice from Al Gore, and get a
LOCK BOX for the phone!

PSA is Personal Station Access ... but take a look in the system parameter customer options, if PSA is "y" With best regards
Callmaster

You could make him an agent with a button on his phone to login and one to logout. Just make the phone a generic station extension and give it a tight COR. Delete the manager's extension and recreate it as an agent with autoanswer set to "none". The login and logout buttons should be set as autodials which reference entries on the enhanced dial list. Ours is as below..

ABBREVIATED DIALING
List1: enhanced List2: List3: personal 1

BUTTON ASSIGNMENTS
1: call-appr 5: abrv-dial List: 1 DC: 998
2: call-appr 6: abrv-dial List: 1 DC: 997
3: directory 7:
4: 8: data-ext Ext: 6703

The entries for button 5 & 6 contain the feature access codes for login and logout. Works fine
John
ski_69@hotmail.com

Thanks for all of the input.

The PSA feature is not activated on our system.

Unfortunately, the office is in a warehouse and used by more than just my manager, so locking is not an option :).

I may try allowing him TTI access. My original plan was to give him a phone feature button change his COR. That would have been the easiest for him, but for some reason when I try to set a code for this I keep getting an error.

I brought up having him log in as an agent when this first came up, but my superior didn't like the idea. Might have to bring it up again........

Thanks everybody and have a great week!!

psalm62

I vote for scottyjohn's answer. Allow 911 calls on the station COR, and nothin' else. Susan
Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain

What objection did your supervisor have against making this an agent? Just wondering.....

You could do this: Instead of the abreviated dial button for the login function, you could set up an autodial button with the login FAC and Agent ID. Just for grins, precede the autodial string with ~s so nothing is displayed when the autodial button is depressed. And don't tell the manager he's really an agent, just let him know that he has buttons on his set to disable and enable the phone. Susan

What is the set type we are talking about here? If you find any mistakes, please consider that they are there for a purpose. And everyone needs a purpose.
Hope this helps, Mikey.

He has a 6416D+M phone. I assume that is the set you are asking about.

It has been a policy here not to make anyone an agent unless they take customer calls. I think that may have to change.

Thanks [sunshine],
psalm62

Why not just use Electronic Station Lock. When the phone is in normal service, the normal COR is used. In the setting up of that COR is a field that says:
"Station Lock COR: x"

This means that when the phone is "locked", the COR drops to whatever COR you tell it.

Look in your DISP FEAT table and see what you have for:
Station Lock Activation: *88 Deactivation: #88
(Page 3).

The station will need a SECURITY CODE programmed on PG 1 of the station's form. So, basically, they dial the STATION LOCK ACTIVATION code, then their EXTENSION + #, then SECURITY CODE + #. The dialtone is different to indicate the station is locked. To deactivate, dial the DEACTIVATION Code, then the EXTENSION + #, then the SECURITY CODE + #.

Hope this helps...

Kris

I do not have STATION LOCK ACTIVATION in my feature access code list. My COR setup page does not have the Station Lock field either. That would have been great!

I have USER CONTROL RESTRICT activation / deactivation in my feature access code list. I can't find much information on this feature. Does anyone use this??

Thanks..........

psalm62

Here is the Avaya definition of PSA:

The Personal Station Access (PSA) feature allows multiple users to work at the same voice terminal location at different times. PSA provides capabilities that are
similar to TTI, but for a single station. This feature is available starting with DEFINITY ECS Release 5. Each PSA user must have a Station Security Code (SSC), which includes as many as eight digits. The feature has a pre-administered security feature regarding input entry by the
user. Once the user enters his or her extension at the appropriate time, a “no response” feedback is provided whether or not the entered extension is valid. For an invalid extension, the system simply waits, without esponding, until it reaches a timeout threshold. As such, an unauthorized user does not know that input entry is the cause of the error. The same security feature is in effect whenever the user enters the SSC at the appropriate time.
The dissociate function within PSA allows a user to restrict the features available to a voice terminal. Whenever a terminal is dissociated via PSA, it can be used
only to call an attendant, accept a TTI merge request, or accept a PSA associate request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back