Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User wants "single click" mode active... but no option to activate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hey guys,

I have a user that wants to be able to enter folders, open programs, ect... by single clicking.

Now on some other Windows NT workstation machines this option is active and it is activiated by going to: view -> *folder options* -> web style

However, on the machine of this particular user that wants this option activated the view menu is slightly diffrent. The only options listed in the *view* drop down menu are: view -> *options* (as opposed to "folder options" above) -> and then the tab to select opening new windows in same window or multipule windows and the tab for deciding what files to allow to be shown, if you want to make compressed files colored, if you want file extenstions shown, etc...

There is no tab there for activating "Web Style".

How do I get access to this menu? Thanks in advance.

Try looking in Control Panel -> Mouse. I have Microsoft Intellipoint installed which gives you this option. If you only have the standard software installed, I'm not sure if you get it.

Also, look on the tool bar (where file, edit etc are) under Tools and see if folder options is there. It sounds like the other computers have Active Desktop installed. I got it off the IE4 disk (knew it'd be a good idea to hold onto it :) ). You should be able to get it from , but I'm not sure.

Anyway, hope this is of some help.

Rgds

I think if you download IE 5.X or 6, you will get the "Web Style" options.

James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that I am now qualified
to do anything with nothing.

Yup, it's a part of Active Desktop. If you d/l IE 5.5 or 6, I think you get it by default.

Hey guys, The comp has IE 5.5 sp2 on it... but still no options for actvie desktop activation...

Anyone have a link to where I can find active desktop for windows NT?

In the meantime I'll keep on searching the net for it.

Thx for all your help so far.

Try reinstalling IE (whatever version you have on disk) and see if during the install it gives you the option to install Active Desktop. Like I said in my previous post, I get it from IE4 because thats the only place I know where to get it.

Rgds

Ok guys,

Thanks. So basicly Active Desktop comes as a seperate componant I just need to find it.

I tried useing to install IE6... but to no avail. Same situation. Maybe I need to try it again, but do the 'custom install' selection and see if Active Desktop shows up there...

A lot of time for such a cosmetic 'problem'.

Hi Guys,

I you want the Active Desktop, you'll have to install IE4 (there is an option if you want Active Desktop/single click).Then Re-Install IE5.5 Sp2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back