Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User templates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzroo

Technical User
Feb 28, 2003
AU
Does anyone know how to restore the default user templates. Whenever I create a new user, it creates the user's home folder but anyone can get access to it and its a pain having to go in all the time and change permissions.

This is an issue with the permissions in the root. Check the NTFS perms on User Shared Folders.

They should look like this:

Domain Admins: Full Control

Domain Users: Special
----They have these rights set:
------Traverse Folder
------List Folder
------Read Attributes
------Read Extended Attrib
------Create Folders
------Read Permissions
-----Make sure that the scope "Apply onto" is set to "This folder and files"
-----Check the box that says "Apply these perms...this container only

Folder Operators: Full Control
System: Full Control

When you have these permissions set and the wizard creates a new user, it only allows the owner of the folder access to the folder, not all domain users.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Cool. That work perfectly mate.

Just another question. Is there a way I can create the desktop for the New User template with the icons I want availabe and it mirrors on all new users?

Forgot to say thanks ShackDaddy

You're welcome!

As far as the icons, there are a few ways to do that.

You could create a script that builds the shortcuts on the desktop and assign that script via group policy.

Or you could, as part of your normal imaging/provisioning put those shortcuts in the hidden Default profile in the Desktop folder, and every person who logs on to that workstation will have them.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back