Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User specific printing preferences are not saved

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcjennifer

Technical User
Jul 15, 2008
US
Recently, our users have not been able to save their printing preferences and I need to figure out why.

We use roaming profiles on PS 4.5/Windows Server 2003. We use a combination of PCs and Wyse terminals, but it is not specific to either device. We have 4 print servers (Server 2000 and 2003), but it is not specific to either O/S or any one print server. It is happening to any model printer (we mostly have Canon MFD and HP).

The printers are created through Session policies. Our Printer Properties Retention policy has not changed, but is set to "Retained in user profile only".

Everything that I have read says that these settings are saved in the HKCU\Printers\DevModes2 key. I can see the key being created when I make a preference change (i.e., duplex), but the key deletes when the session closes and does not come back in the next session. Users make their preference changes by going into Internet Explorer, Print, right click on the printer and selecting Printing Preferences.

Any ideas? Am I missing something? HELP!
Jennifer Ruetten

I learned the the retention policy would not apply to my situation because the retention policy is only for client printers (not session printers).

Any other ideas from anyone? This really did work at one point.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer

We were having some very odd goings on with printers here, session information not being saved and all sorts, and one of the changes I made was within the Printing Policy and related to Print Job Routing. By changing that setting from Connect Directly to Network Print Server if possible to 'Always Connect indirectly as a client printer' all of a sudden a lot of our printing issues were resolved, but we were having issues with the printers not mapping correctly to start with, rather than users not being able to save preferences, but they definitely can now.

Are you using the native drivers for each of your printers, or the Universal Printer drivers?

Not sure if this will help, but maybe worth trying?

Chris

At this point, we deleted a registry key on all the Citrix servers that holds all the printers and then let it recreate. That seems to have helped.

We are using native drivers. I will look into these policy settings if we still have problems.

Thanks - Jennifer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back