Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Short Codes NOT preceeding System Short Codes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

twvnet

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2005
US
User Short Codes NOT taking priority over System Short Codes

Scenario: We created user short codes for fax extension user profiles to keep them from dialing out over VoIP lines in an SCN environment (since fax over IP doesn't work so hot). The SC field in the user short code is exactly the same as the SC field in a System short code. What's happening is that the System short code is being used and the User short code is being ignored -- you can see it happening in System Monitor. Version 3.0.44 of firmware and Admin Apps with a 406v2. Of course, according to the documentation, the User Short Code should take precedence over the matching System Short Code.

Here are the short codes:

System Short Code:
SC = [9]1817xxxxxxx;
TN = 91817N
Line = 0 (the PRI)
Feature = Dial

LCR Short Code:
SC = 91817N
TN = 9817N
Line = 17 (the VoIP trunk)
Feature = Dial

User Short Code for Fax extension users:
SC = [9]1817xxxxxxx;
TN = 1817N
Line = 0
Feature = Dial

When you dial a number matching [9]1817xxxxxxx from a fax machine that has the User Short Code associated with it, you can see in System Monitor that it never touches the User Short Code. It immediately matches the System Short Code, then hands off to the LCR short code, and sends the fax out the VoIP trunk.

This violates the logic of the Short Code matching rules in the IP Office documentation, which says that if there's a match on a User Short Code, that will take precedence over a System Short Code, then it will look for an LCR short code match on the dialed string (the TN from the User Short Code).

I need to know if anyone has a resolution or workaround.

Thanks much!

Tom

A User SC does take precedence over the system SC, but if the result of a SC has an LCR macth it will follow that LCR translation!

What I do for faxes is setup an SC as hotline to a trunk, so trunk access via 9 or 0 is not needed.

SC ?D
TN .
Line 0
function Dial

Try. Maybe it works for you aswell

SCN will take preference over all short codes
an extn on a remote site conected Via SCN will be seen as an internal extn number & extn numbers have proirity over short codes

I finally got to Avaya Tier 3 support yesterday. They said that the priority of User SCs over System SCs is well and duly broken in version 3.0.40 and 3.0.44 -- "Known Issue". It is not fixed yet in 3.0.58, which is only available on-demand. And they don't know when it will be fixed. Right now, if the dialed # matches a System SC, that's where the system points it. So, it's workaround time.

Thanks for all your posts.
Tom

I just installed a 412 w/3.0.44 using User Shortcodes that match System Shortcodes - and the system uses the User shortcodes every time... No LCR involved..
Mike

Do you have a Secondary dialtone shortcode in the user shortcode list? If not then it is obvious that the system shortcodes are used since you start your user shortcode with [9], this points to the system shortcode for secondary dialtone.

Many thanks to all who posted. Intrigrant's post hit the nail on the head! Once I added the Secondary Dial Tone short code to the User Short Codes, it worked like a champ and gave priority to the User Short Codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back