Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Security Win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianc2k

Vendor
Jan 12, 2000
US
I am looking for a way, or simple downloadable program that will require a user login/password to launch Windows 98. We are on a Windows 2000 network and this particular workstation uses Windows 98. I know I can set a screen saver password. But I am looking for something that will require a user password at startup.

The BIOS "User Password" setting on this machine only allows limited BIOS settings and does not enforce a password to launch Windows 98.

Specifically I want the user to be forced to enter a name/password before Windows 98 is launched. Then once Windows 98 starts the user needs to be able to enter their user name/password to log into the Windows 2000 Server network.

Any one have any recommendations or suggestions? Is this something I can set up with Windows 95's poleedit?

If the computer is in a domain and the Microsoft Network client is installed and the Primary Network Logon is set to the Microsoft Networks than it should prompt for a log on.

Is that what you are asking?

JON

i think he means he wants a way to make sure only someone with a password can use the computer. with the MS network client you can just hit escape and it bypasses the log on.

"Did you ever wish a circle was a square, so when land sharks start circling the boarders you can just cut them off at the corners?" - Aesop Rock

You can do this with Policy Editor or a registry hack.
Open your registry and go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value called "MustBeValidated" and set it to equal "1" to require successful authentication.

Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

After rebooting any user that wishes to use that computer will be forced to enter his or her username and password in order to begin using the computer. If he or she presses "Cancel" or ESC, they will receive a warning

Note - if the network is down so is this machine.

hope this helps.

Thanks csdb1. I will give that a try.

As VMPhilosophy implied any one can walk around Microsoft's network login or passworded screen saver by just rebooting and using the escape key. What I need is to lock the computer down in this general area so that only one person only can use it. Short of finding an old case with a key lock keyboard I did not know what to do.

Not sure what I would do without this site. Always saves me massive amounts of time. Thanks to all who responded. Special thanks to csdb1 as this seems like the solution to my situation.

Well, you could always get an OS from this millenium. :-D

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Thanks Jontmke. Just what a cash stressed, zero budget for an icon utility OS this school needs. The OS at this level is nothing more then a desktop where icons are used to launch other software. You must realize that not every one embraces expensive OS upgrades when no benefit would be realized. This school measures upgrades by benefits not cosmetic features. For what they are doing there is no feasibility in the upgrade, at this time.

Brianc2k - presume you know to change the network properties for Client for Microsoft Networks so logon is validated by the server (ie, domain logon)?

Also - the supplied fix will not (I think) prevent a user from getting in via safe mode (you can also disable safe mode.... but win98 isn't secure - although it depends on level of misuse and expertise of misusers you are expecting how successful your security will be. Anyone with a boot floppy and some knowledge can get into a win98 installation).

Brian, I was joking! That's why I put a smiley face on it?
I work as a network analyst, I understand IT budgets.

We still have a lot of win98 boxes left also.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back