Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhall51

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2001
I want to basically remove the programs folder from the start menu, and just put the needed programs on the desktop. Is that possible, or is there another easy way of locking down the entire computer except a few programs?

Right-click the Start button, Explore from here, and delete the folder.

That will not work, but thanks.

are you stand alone or network domain

networked, but I think I have solved it for now. Do you have any ideas?

If you type "mmc" (without quotes) go to File-Add/Remove snap in, then click on add again and then pick the Group Policy snap-in you will be able to set all kinds of security settings, lock down the machine just about anyway you want to.

It is funny i was just looking to do this myself... I want to disable the Start Button completely. I used Group Policy on the local machine.. even though this is on a Domain but will not configure this group of users on the server so local policy will work. In doing so it lists nothing in the start menu except for "programs" which still lists Accessories, start up, IE, Outlook Express, Remote Assistance, Windows Media Player. These machines will be running an ap that will run from start up and will not be able to be shutdown but still the Start bar shows which will give them some accessibility.

Bill

I tried deleting "programs" as explained above but windows states it is a system folder and is needed to run windows... i kinda expected that to happen though :)

Just delete the contents. You will need to go to the All Users Profile, the Default Profile, and the username Profile to get all the entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back