Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User redirection after a log-in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaSe

Programmer
Feb 14, 2008
GB
Hi guys.I'd like to find out the way of redirecting a user after a successful log-in to a page called "first.php".I guess I'll need like to implement it into the script below so what's the minimal option of doing it ? Thank you for any comments.

----------------------------------------------------
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM usersystem WHERE username = '$username' AND password = '$password' LIMIT 1") or die(mysql_error());

//check to see how many rows were returned

$rows = mysql_num_rows($sql);

if (($rows)<=0)

{

echo "Incorrect username/password";

}

else

{

//have them logged in

$_SESSION['username'] = $username;

}
}
?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "<html xmlns="<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<body>
</body>
</html>

use a header:

Code:
else

{

//have them logged in

$_SESSION['username'] = $username;

header("Location:first.php");
}

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

One note about security:

If you keep using the same session, your visitors are open to a session fixation attack. PHP has a function session_regenerate_id() to overcome this.

The danger is basically this:

Suppose I could start a session and trick you into using it. This is not a problem before login, because we are still both anonymous visitors and I can do nothing less than you can.

Now you log in. In your above example, the same session is used and that session is "upgraded" to a logged in state. If I am using the same session, I am now logged in as well. If the server had started a new session upon login, we would now have separate sessions: I would still have a not logged-in one, and you would have a logged-in one. So whenever the rights of the user change, change sessions as well. Off course, copy any data you need to the new session.

+++ Despite being wrong in every important aspect, that is a very good analogy +++
Hex (in Darwin's Watch)

Maxi thanks for the advice..I'll try to copy the code and the sessions also.

session_regenerate_id() should automatically copy the session data to a new session file. remember to generate the new ID before you output any content otherwise the new cookie will not be delivered.

Thanks jpadie.I'll try to implement the function.

Forgive me for dropping into this post. Jpadie / DonQuichote
I think I might have a security hole. Once a user goes onto my site a session is created basically to keep track of what they have looked at, if they log in I create a session called ie loggedin and their previous info is available to them. From what I have mentioned, do I have a security concern? Thanks

As the others mentioned, when the user logs in, regenerate the session id. That regeneration has to be accomplished before anything else gets sent to the browser.

Thanks darrellblackhawk will make the changes

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back