Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Profiles In Windows 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil76

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
ES
Yesterday i have to reinstall my PDC, after instaling it again i turn up all machines but most of then give me an profile error: the profile could not be found on server.. with reason ACCESS DENIED. (sorry translation, it was in spanish).
My question is:
¿how can i made all profiles works properly again without making all again?
My second question es:
¿can i give up the computers up in the active directory, without getting out an getting in the computer separately?

Thanks
DAVID

Have you given your PDC the same name as before, shares and share permissions etc. as before?

Yes all is the same, and i give permision on the profiles folders to the new users, but the error still happend.
All netlogon scripts, and shares works properly, after given permision to the new classID of the users.
I try to copy one of the error profiles a few moments ago an i had a problem, it say me that the ntuser.dat was using, but noone is using this profile.

It depends about which profiles you are talking about.
My opinion is that you cannot just use the local old profiles. After you reinstalled your domain (i suppose that was a reinstallation of entire AD) then your users even if they have same name, they have different SID. And in windows you are identified by the ID, not by the name. That's why you can rename a user account and everything will work ok.
If there are remote profiles, then you have to assign in the user property of the users that you have, where is the directory with their profile. After this you should check to see if the system assigned properly ( the assignment of the permissions is done automatically in this case)the permissions to those directories.
However, even in that case, the system is trying to overwrite some security settings from the previous assignment, and it might fail. That's why the ebst thing that you can do is to copy as much (...) information as you can from the old profiles and put them into the new created ones.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

Are remote profiles, and your solution it the same i am doing, but i am asking this, to future problems. But now i choose to buy a new small server made and BDC, with replication (veritas storage replicator) but i have other site where i coulndt buy another server, and i could have the same problem.

Question:
¿why the server saids to me that the ntuser.dat is using?
¿its any form to now if its true, or to disconect users of using system archives?

Thanks
DAVID

The seccond question i don't understand it.
The first one, the answer is: ntuser.dat is a system file that keeps the registry/security settings for that user. You can try to remove it. Then, you should not have problems with overwriting it.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net

I know it but the ntuser.dat its so important to the user profile, i didnt want to delete it, but if i try to do, it send my the same message that someone is using it.

The second question means that if in windows 2000 server in the adminisitrative tools, en computer administration, you can see with files are using in that moment, but only not system files, ntuser.dat is a system file and i want to see how is using the file to try to access it. i dont know if its posible.

I want to know it cos the profiles that work, dont give me that message, so the error is about it.

Thanks
DAVID

ntuser.dat will have security information, user registry settings there. You cannot reuse them if you have a new installation!
In the shares section of Computer Management console you can see the shares and opened files by the clients.
ntuser.dat si not opened continously. It is read when the user logs on, and based on it there will be changes in the local registry where the user logs on.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back