Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Profiles are disconnecting from Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2006
US
As of late my user profiles are disconnecting from the Domain controller. Does anyone know why this is happening? This is a pain to rejoin each profile when this happens.

HI,

Can you please explain in a little more detail

Thanks

The user is no longer able to connect to the domain. The computer can no longer access mapped network drives. In fact the user basically is no longer able to access the user profile associated to the domain. Typically on the next logon they can not access windows under the domain profile. They can only access the workstation by creating a local profile. The fix is to log on as the local admin Unjoin the domain copy the profile to a new directory, delete all unwanted profiles run a windows application called UPHCLEAN. Re-join the domain and re-create the user profile and copy the old profile back over the top of the newly created profile. I would assume since microsoft created an application to fix this it must affect more people than myself. This problem is a pain to correct and takes alot of time. Especially when you have 10 profiles disconnect in a single day.

I would like to avoid this ever happening and was curious what causes it and how to prevent it from happening.

The user is no longer able to connect to the domain. The computer can no longer access mapped network drives. In fact the user basically is no longer able to access the user profile associated to the domain. Typically on the next logon they can not access windows under the domain profile. They can only access the workstation by creating a local profile. The fix is to log on as the local admin Unjoin from the domain, copy the profile to a new directory, delete all unwanted profiles run a windows application called UPHCLEAN. Re-join the domain and re-create the user profile and copy the old profile back over the top of the newly created profile. I would assume since microsoft created an application to fix this it must affect more people than myself. This problem is a pain to correct and takes alot of time. Especially when you have 10 profiles disconnect in a single day.

I would like to avoid this ever happening and was curious what causes it and how to prevent it from happening.

I would look more at your network setup than issues with profiles.

How is your network setup? When these machines drop off of the domain, are you still able to ping the domain controller? Are these machines local, or are they remote? I'm going to guess they are all local. Are you using roaming profiles?

i would also look at the nic settings on the machines see detail on it check were DNS/dhcp is pointing to.......

Stand up wherever you are, go to the nearest window and yell as loud as you can, 'I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore.'

I agree there is something with the network configuration that is causing the problem. All the machines are local. I dont have roaming profiles enabled. DHCP is assigned from the same server that hosts the DNS. The NIC is pointed at the DNS Server. Not sure if this information proves valuable. If so let me know otherwise I will post my findings back to this thread.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back