Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user profiles and group settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijnanya

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2003
LC
I need to remove the ability of users to install or remove software, as well as protect against registry changes and system settings. When I remove a user from the admin group and place them in the power users or users group, their profile changes completely. They lose all drive mappings, desktop icons, quicklaunch items, wallpaper, etc.. I'd like to implement this without having to rebuild all the profiles. If some one can steer me in the right direction, I would be most grateful - Thank you.

If you open a management console by going to start and run and type in MMC this will open a console window. you'll proably have to add snap in's if you haven't used this before.. file --> Add\remove snap in --> Add --> add the snap in "Local Computer Policy" or any other that take your fancy.

But this will allow you to admister who gets what. If you get stufk on anything right click and help will guide you a little.

Let me know if it helps.

thanx leajanderson, but i looked at all of that even the group policy editor(gpedit.msc)and still cudn't find the solution. another problem is i have over 50 computers in my organisation. i can't afford to sit and configure every local policy on the pcs.good news is i don't experience the problem on every machine.(happens on both win 2000 and xp pro). i'd like to know if anybody else has ran into this problem. when i change the user from and administrator to a power user or restricted user it changes the entire profile. and u can't make ne changes to the desktop, wallpaper, start menu, etc. and every time it does that i have to go back and configure the internet and email and mapped drives.
can't find ne information on this online. so if nebody can help i'd be very grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back