Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Profile being created without actual login occuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

carriecpdx

Technical User
Nov 14, 2002
US
I have a situation where a user is running a script remotely on several machines. On some of the machines, a profile is actually being created for the person running the script, even though they are not physically logging onto the box.

Has anyone ever seen this? Does anyone now what may cause this?

Thanks in advance!

They are using the Secondary Logon Service.

Doesn't that require the use of the runas command? In the current situation the user was running a vbs script from a normal command line, cscript scriptname.vbs

No.

I should give you more hints, but I am reluctant to discuss ways to circumvent Windows security.

. You have the secondary logon service that could be exploited by unprotected usernames on remote workstations and servers;

. Similarly, you could run in a SERVICE, NT/AUTHORITY or NETWORK security context. For example, think about ways that the AT and OH commands could be used to schedule a script or event of some kind without requiring a username security context.

. Final hint - Administrative Shares.

Thanks for your input! As it turns out this appears to have something to do with the FastUserSwitching service in XP.

Just a note that Fast User Switching is disabled in Domain settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back