Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

creechurch

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2003
GB
I have installed Windows XP and created 2 users (both with Admin rights) I have a HDD partitioned (C: & D:) but regardless of which user name I use, I can't change the name of the D: partition (eg. from "New Volume" to "Local HDD"). It gives a message stating "User does not have to correct permissions to perform this action" or words to that effect. Even if I reboot and go in to Safe Mode and log in as "Administrator" it still gives the same statement.

This also happens on various other tasks within Windows.

Please does anyone have any ideas, Thanks.

Hi, Are you logging onto a network or just locally?

You may need to take ownership of it (security tab on the d: drive properties) as whichever Admin user you're logged on as.

Was this a clean install or an upgrade? If you have only just performed the install it may pay you to back up your data and perform a clean install.

Cheers guys

This was a clean install and this is based locally (no network).

All users created (eg. Bert and Ernie) have admin rights.

I have tried going in to safe mode and using the admin logon to change the D: name but this get the same message. If the administrator can change it what hope to i have!! lol

NB: the D: partition was created by me on my user logon, using MMC, therefore I should be the owner should I not?.

Oh and another thing,

there are and have only been 3 users mine (eg: Bert), my partners (eg: Ernie) and the Administrator.

I dont think i've seen the security tab in the D: partition properties, but i will have a look tonight just incase i missed that.

In Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, uncheck 'Use Simple File Sharing - recommended'

Note: the filestore must be NTFS and not FAT32

It also may need to be noted that i can read/write and ammend files to the D: Partition, by all users.

You have to disable simple file sharing to see the Security tab.

Start, Run, CMD

label d:

Creates, changes, or deletes the volume label (that is, the name) of a disk. Used without parameters, label changes the current volume label or deletes the existing label.

Syntax
label [Drive:][label]

label [/MP][volume][label]

Parameters
Drive:
Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon) of the disk you want to name.
label
Specifies the name for the volume.
/MP
Specifies that the volume should be treated as a mount point or volume name.
volume
Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name. If a volume name is specified, the /MP parameter is unnecessary.
/?
Displays help at the command prompt.
Remarks
Windows displays the volume label as part of the directory listing. If a volume serial number exists, Windows displays this number as well.
Label command messages
If you do not specify a label when you use the label command, label displays a message in the following format:

Volume in drive A is xxxxxxxxxxx
Volume Serial Number is xxxx-xxxx
Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)?

The "Volume Serial Number" part of the message is not displayed if the disk has no serial number.

You can type the volume label you want or press ENTER to delete the current label. If a disk has a label and you press ENTER for none, label prompts you with the following message:

Delete current volume label (Y/N)?

Press Y to delete the label; press N to keep the label.

Limitations on volume label names
A volume label can contain as many as 32 characters for NTFS volumes and as many as 11 characters for FAT volumes and can include spaces but no tabs.

FAT volume labels cannot contain any of the following characters:

* ? / \ | . , ; : + = [ ] < > &quot;

This limitation does not apply to NTFS volumes.

For FAT volumes, volume labels are stored as uppercase regardless of whether they contain lowercase letters. NTFS volume labels retain and display the case used when the label was created.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back