Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Permissions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Survane

MIS
Jul 3, 2002
US
When my database users attempt to open the system on the network, they get errors stating that they do not have permissions to run the autoexec macro. Any attempts to open other objects results in errors like cannot find ~tablename~.

Has anyone had that kind of error before? Thanks.

You will have to insure that the people attempting to access your database are also accessing your mdw file. Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

What is the best way to propagate the mdw file? I've just started setting up a DB for secure access, and have the mdw file locally on my machine. Since the DB will eventually live on a network drive,what is the best strategy for giving others access to the mdw file?

Thanks!

asp

I have sent my users my system.mdw file and it still doesn't work.

Assuming your using a single MDB file for data tables/forms/queries etc, both the MDB and the workroup MDW file would sit on the network share.

You then need a shortcut on the users machine with something like the following properties;

Please note these should be entered as a single line

Target: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "X:\MyDB\MyDB.MDB"
/wrkgrp "X:\My DB\MyDB.mdw"

Start in: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office

This assumes MSACCESS has been installed as a standard part of MS Office and that the DB (MyDB.MDB) has been installed to a network share mapped to drive X: in a folder called 'MyDB'

If you don't use mapped drives then the target should read

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "\\MyServerName\MyDB\MyDB.MDB"
/wrkgrp "\\MyServerName\MyDB\MyDB.mdw"

where 'MyServerName' is the name of the server

If you're using a 'front end'/'backend' split system (Forms/reports/queries etc in the 'frontend' DB and data tables in the 'backend' DB), the frontend DB would normally sit on the User's PC and the backend DB and MDW on the network share. In this case, the shortcut properties should be something like the following;

Target: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\program files\MyDB\MyDB.MDB"
/wrkgrp "X:\My DB\MyDB.mdw"

Start in: C:\Program Files\MyDB

The 'frontend' would need to have a code module adding to link the two DBs togther (unless you distributed it with the connection already made) - see the MS solutions DB for a sample of linking front/back DBs.

Have fun

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back