Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User permissions on a stand alone server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadstone

Technical User
Apr 24, 2002
GB
Hi all

I should know the awnser to this, but I've been drawing a blank for last half hour. I need to use MMC to connect to a stand alone machine that is not a member of our domain. The server in question is Windows 2000 server - and I'm trying to connect from a XP workstation that is a member of the domain. How can I setup the permissions so that I can manage the remote server.

Any thoughts or pointers would be most welcomed...

Cheers

Roadstone

You would be better off putting terminal services on the win2k server and then using the RDP client to connect to the sever and modify it from there.

Hi 1101001100110101

Thanks for your response. That's exactly the way I currently have the server configured. The problem with this is that Terminal Services in Administration mode only permits 2 simultaneous connections, and in this case, I need all my IT guys / gals (about 6) to be able to manage the particular software at the same time. This can be done using the Snap In that comes with the software. The software in this case, is MIMESweeper, and our server sits alone in our DMZ.

Anyone else got a solution?

Cheers

Roadstone

The IT guys in question need to manage a piece of software called MailSweeper - which relays mail between the Internal and External interface of the firewall. The server is located in the DMZ. Normally, one could do this with the MMC Snapin that comes with MailSweeper - and which is easy to do if the server sits in the same domain as the management workstations. The problem is though that the server in question is a stand alone server with no trust between it and the domain. My problem is that I need a way to authenticate the domain user accounts to the standalone server - so that they have admin privlages on that server - and can run the MMC. The firewall rule set is not the problem - the problem is with user authentication.

Have you tried making local user accounts on the server with the same username password as your domain accountsand adding them to the admin group. That should allow them the access you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back