Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User permissions in active directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainroc

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
US
Hello,
Im running Win 2000 advanced server. Also, I've installed IIS 5.0 The problem I'm having is this. When users i've setup in active dir. attempt to logon to my web site they receive 401 error, but Operator's (administrators) can logon w/out a problem. I've installed IIS and selected Basic Authenticatication so users we be prompted to logon. I've created a group(Internet Users) which I put all users who can access my website and placed that group on the share that contains my website (read only). So, user recieves prompt to logon but, receive 401 error. What am I doing wrong? Oh, one other thing this problem occurs on the network or from the internet.

Now there are 2 places to set security access on files.

Via the share permissions which determines if the user can see shared directories or Security permissions on the files themseleves.

Most people turn the share permissions to everyone full control and then use the NTFS/Security permissions to control access to files.

with error 401 poping up secuirty is to tightsome where.

I;ve checked the share folder permisions, they are admin , everyone and internet users, a group I created. Internet grp has read & excute, read, and list folder contents all the way down to file access on index.htm.

Hi,
Did you try on the"home directory" tab on the connect as to put a user with the proper permissions? Eran
erans@convergys.co.il

Eran,

I'm not sure I follow you? Are you talking about an option in User Manager?

Mainroc,
I meant on the IIS server. on the properties of your intranet site. Eran
erans@convergys.co.il

Eran,

Home directory tab does not give me an option to connect as or add users. I can select which directory my web site is pointing to.

I've tried Directory security for Anonymous Logon, which works fine. But When I attempt to user Basic Authentication thats when i run into problems. Only the admin account works. All valid domain user recieve 401.1 error. Also, the group I've added has "Logon on locally" set in the local policy on the server.

I am having a problem when a Windows 2000 Machine logins into the network and the user is a domain user they can't install any software. Now, any previous software that was installed does not run. If i login as the local user and install the software it shows up in programs, but i get errors. The only way I can get this to work, it to make the users DOMAIN ADMINS and it works. NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back