Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User password expire and user is unable to logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

lengoo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
GH
Hi All,
I have a user who is out on the road using a laptop. I think his password has expired (set by policies) and his machine will now not let him onto his laptop.
There is no way his laptop can get access to our network as he is in an area where there is no internet connection so resetting the network password isn't going to help. His laptop thinks that his password has expired so wont let him in.. is there any way I can reset password he is using on the machine or unexpire the password?
Thanks
Alan

yes there is a local admin but we need to login as the actual user as it has files within their offline folders in this location which we want to access. Unfortunately, looking in document and settings/user/my documents does not show these files

Any ideas??

Well you have to start somewhere. Log in as local admin and see if you can set reset the password on that account, or see if you can set the password to "never expire".

Is the user using Cached credentials or a local machine account? If it is the later, then the logging on as administrator should be sufficient, as long as you wish to divulge the administrator password to the user.

If they are using cached credentials, then the chances are that they have mis-typed their password wrong too many times, as the cache does not keep track of password expiry times. In this case, the only solution is to have them connect to your network, and resync the cache with the server. At this point if they need to change their password it will prompt them to do so.

It may be wise to set up a dial up connection on laptops for a particular number into which you can plug a modem which in turn will be connected to a RAS server on your network, for just this scenario. Unfortunately there is no way of setting this up after a lockout without giving the user access using the admin account.

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

Is there any way to reset the cached password? I guess the user has typed the wrong password in too many times and it's locked out.. however, there is no way to connect the user to our network as he is in an area of no connectivity.. he is in some remote part of Africa!!

The problem is that he has some offline files within his profile but we can't get to them now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back