Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User parameter selection (missing) on a 1 page 'letter'

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendanj68

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2003
GB
Hi,
Am running CR 9.0 on SQL 2000.

There is possibly a two part problem here which I'll try to explain as fully as possible.

1. Have created a parameter based on project Code, which the user selects to run a single page 'letter'. The problem is that only some of the project codes return the correct letter (adressee, etc) and some just simply don't! The parameter has all the project codes listed in the drop-down, for ease of user experience. So the data is there but 'missing' at the same time??

The structure of the report is as follows:
RH <Suppress>
PHa <Contact Details>
PHb <Add2>
PHc <Add3>
PHd <City>
PHe <County/Zip>
GH1 @Project Code select
GH2 <Coy_Id>
GH3 <Proj_Id>
D <Suppress>
GF3 <Suppress>
GF1 <letter - Text/ Formula>
RFa <Suppress>
RFb <Suppress>

In addition, have played around on the structure of the report to show/ print the single page only based on the parameter choice(As Above and using RFa & RFb), but in doing so some additional (formula) data isn't coming through within the letter itself. This could be just a sympton of point 1, but difficult to say if the param isn't working properly.

Any guidance on this would help v. much

Why is @Project Code select in the group header instead of a record or group selection formula?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

dgillz,

The answer came from lbass some time ago, as a result of another issue. The format has worked for me until now? Tried the Record selection formula, but was still having similar problems to the original - so no resolution.

B

you have given us NO!!! details to work with...no formulas...no expected output...no tables...no parameter definitions...no formula for @Project Code

Just how are we supposed to solve your problem?????

nice report sturcture though

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

Jim,

As ever had try to explain a problem in as a concise way as possible without writing a short novel, but I do appreciate the effort people put into helping others, and will try to explain better in the future.

Parameter is as follows: {?Project Code Select} - lists all project codes in the standard drop-down

Select Formula: if {Sol___LGIP_Team.Project_Code}= {?Project Code Select} then {?Project Code Select}

Tables - no numerous hence views created on SQL Db (again not applicable in thjis issue, as the date being returned is present and correct).

Expected output, by the user selecting a Project code from {?Project Code select} only one record should return based on the report structure above. What is happening (on screen) is that when reviewing in preview pane I see the following:
Review Co_ordinator Letter (the report)
Project ID1
Project ID2....
Project ID12 (No Project Codes visible)

SIP GEN AYL (User Selected project Code)

But instead of returning only one record, it selects two, the very last record (alphabetically) on Page 1 and the one the user wanted on Page 2 - this is not what I expected and somewhere I've erred. Hope this gives the sort of detail you require, as this report set-up/request mechanism has to work on another 20 reports!!

Thanks for your patience.

B

still not much to go on....

the first think I would check is to see what Crystal is actually using for SQL when getting the data for the report.

To view the SQL Query go to

Database\Show SQL Query

copy and paste the query into another database tool eg Toad and find out what records are being brought back.

from this you can figure out if it is a problem with Crystal creating the query form the Record Selection formula or is the View presenting bad data

that is all I can suggest right now

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

You were right something is 'odd' between CR and SQL. I'll just have to go back to basics and check it all out again. So don't think that anyone can help on this - thanks anyway. Will drop a line when I find out what is happening, mightbhelp someone else!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back