Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User name change

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewa8978

MIS
Jan 19, 2003
US
Can anyone tell me the correct way to change a user's name? You'd think this would be a well-documented procedure, with employees getting married, divorced, etc., but I find very little. I have all Win2K servers, and Exchange 2000. I changed the user's name in AD, and updated the e-mail address. I left the old address, too for a little while. I can send a message to either address with no problem, and I get responses, but they say they're from the old name. Any ideas?

Jennifer
Network Administrator

did you:
1 - change the display name
2 - set the new smtp address as primary

Yep, that's what I did. The only problem I'm having is that her old name still shows up in the from field when she sends a message. Even if I address a message to her new name, the reply is from her old name. I've changed everything I can find in Exchange. I setup a new profile, too, but that didn't help. Any other ideas?

ok, so what you need to do is change the account name (right click account in AD and choose Rename) in AD Users and Computers. Then allow some time for replication. Should work.

If you're using Outlook Express (IMAP or POP access) I think you'll need to change the account setup in the software on the workstation.

FWIW

Joe Brouillette

whoa, sorry lewa, I was thinking/posting somewhere else...disregard my last comment. What you have done already should be enough, but it may be a matter of running an "update now" on the RUS and then an "apply this policy now" on the recipient policy, then allow a little time for replication.

It's working now, thanks. I think it just took some time for replication, because I had already changed the account name. So the good news is I did what I was supposed to, I just wasn't patient enough. I don't mean to pick on my own sex, but why do women have to get so antsy about changing their name the minute they get married? I mean, is it really going to kill someone to wait an hour? I was married for something close to forever before I even changed my name for Social Security.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Jennifer
Network Administrator

Women, go figure...Hehe :). You're welcome, as long as it's working. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back