Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User must change password at next logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niavlys

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2002
CA
Hi,
I created a bunch of users and set them with the same password with "user must change password at next logon" option checked.

When the user logs on, he's asked to change the password. When he does so, he's prompted with a "User doesn't have permission to change password". Why???

Is there something else to check.

P.S. I've add the users permission to reset password on that user's OU in AD.

Thanks!

Is password never expires checked? Vince Grice
vgrice@hotmail.com
MCSE Win2K, NT; MCSA; MCP+I
favicon.ico

I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow.
- Woodrow Wilson

Is the user a member of the local admin group? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[bat]

"Better be proficient in one art than a smatterer in a thousand."
Japanese proverb

No, the "never expires" is not checked and no the user isn't a member of local admin's group. The user is Domain users' member only.

When logging in, the user is prompted to change his password but doesn't have the rights to do it.

Hey Niav, try setting the "Minimum Password Age" group policy on your domain to "0". Worth a shot...

I already tried it, but when I set this policy enabled, I must enabled maximum password age at the same time, which I don't want to.

... While I'm thinking, does maximum password age means expiration???

true, initially, you do have to set the maximum password age, but you can change the maximum to "0" afterward which effectively says "no expiration".
I guess that answers your second question then...maximum age = expiration.

i am having the same problem. i reset the users password and force them to change upon logon.

hi,
right click on the users OU open the permission tab and in the advanced give the domain users permission to change password (it's under the "user object") Eran
erans@convergys.co.il

I've already did all that, I also add one specific user in object's security and test with that user with the same results.

quats: I have more than 1500 user accounts so I will not reset passwords by hand.

[sad]

Ok, here are some news. It works with Windows 2000 pro clients but not with W98 and XP.

What the heck!
[mad]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back