Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User moved to new room, different extension, no calls to voicemail 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LePivert

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2010
US
According to my manual, I am working with Merlin Legend Communications System Release 7.0 (Quick Reference Guide).

OK, a user moved to a new office, changed the name and greeting on that extension (having been given the password) and all seemed fine.

(That may - or may not - have something to do with the problem)

However, when someone calls that extension, the user is able to take the call if she is there BUT, if she is not, the call never goes to voice mail.

It's possible that this was "always like that" since the previous occupant of the office was not someone who was likely to receive a lot of calls and therefore, a lot of voice mails.

On p. 123 of my Quick Reference, it looks like there could be multiple causes and I don't know where to start.

"Possible Cause 1" refers me to the Chapter 3 of "System Programming". That's apparently another manual that I do not believe I have (took over from someone else - left little or no documentation - you know how that goes).

Chapter 3 of the Quick Guide (mine) is titled "About Reports".

Since overall system is functioning otherwise, and voicemail is working for every other extension (to my knowledge), are there any experienced Merlin admins here who could tell me what the most likely cause of this problem is, given that information?

If you need more, please ask and I'll do my best to provide it.

Thank you!

Sounds like the extension is not part of voicemail coverage group. You need to program that from the console: Menu, System Program, Exit, Extensions, More, Cover Group, enter group number (this is usually set-up as group 30 or group 1 depending upon how the system is programmed), then enter the extension. This will now allow calls to cover to voicemail.

Telecomboy:

I tried your suggestion.

When I reached "Group Cover" (that's what it is on my console), the number of the active (?) group was not indicated, so I do not know if it is 1, 30 or something in between.

Assuming 1 might be the default, I entered the extension and then pressed Enter, then Home.

This did not resolve the problem however (rings 10 plus times, never goes to voicemail).

1. Is there a way to tell what Group Coverage is being used? I would guess we only use one (can you even have more than one?), but I did not perform the initial programming.

2. Once I determine the Group Coverage #, all I do is enter the extension # and then Enter, then Home to get out, right?

If your console has an inspect button programmed then you can go into each group (1-30) and then press inspect to see what group has all the other phones programmed into it. I would start with 30 if 1 did not work. The other possible way if you are using WinSPM is to go into the programming and print off one of the working extensions and see what it has programmed.

I bet it is group 30, that is usually used. I know group 1 would make more sense, but most installers (including myself) use group 30. As Phoneguyjr stated, once you enter the group number at the console, you can press the inspect button and it will show you who is assigned to that group. I would start with 30.

Telecomboy:

That did the trick.

Yes, it was 30.

And now, when I dial the extension, and wait 5 rings or so, I'm forwarded to voicemail.

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back