Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Mailbox maintenance in NWadmin

Status
Not open for further replies.

cconnell

MIS
May 20, 2002
US
Hello -

Facts:
Groupwise v5.5.4
Netware 4.11
User experiences D107/D109 errors
Tried many resolutions to no avail

I am having trouble obtaining info on the mailbox utilities that are available when you right-click a user in NWadmin "Mailbox/Library maintenance" (I did look at the help file(!) and did not find an answer). When I run the "Analyze/Fix databases" action on one user, I receive no indicator that it ran. I did review the log file that is created and it appears that it runs this for all users in the post office. Is this true?

One more question, which might be an easy one, should users not have the GW client open while running any of the Mailbox/Library maintenance utilities?

If someone could point me to in a direction for further online review I would gladly read up, I just cant find anything! I have looked over the info available on Novell's site but it really does not go into great detail on these utilities.

Thanks a bunch,
Chris

The mail box utilities you are running run from the POA, thats why you see nothing working.

Use GWCheck to fix GroupWise database problems (use the System Maintinance for the POA and MTA objects in NWAdmin for the wpdomain.db (domain database) and the wphost.db (PO Datebase)) When you go to the GroupWise 5.5 downloads, if you don't find GWCheck, look in the beta software section, it will be there. Here is a URL that tells you how to use it

Also, it is very very very very very important that a user is not in his/her mailbox (including notify) when you run a check on a user. It is also very very very very very important that zero user are on the post office when you run post office checks (infact, unload the POA to get exclusive access). The domain you only need to close when your doing a top down rebuild of the entire mail system.

Also, D107 and 109 errors have different symtoms, with different solutions. WHat are the symptoms when you get these error messages? Brent Schmidt CNE, Network +
Senior Network Engineer
KIS Computer Center - East Bay, California; USA

Thanks for the reply. I also want to say that I really appreciate people taking time out to answer others questions... we are all busy and this shows dedication!

It seems as if the D109 errors have subsided over the past few weeks or so, but the D107 errors persist. The user receives these errors at various times, performing actions such as (but not limited to):

- opening a new appointment, prior to accepting
- opening a new email
- modifying an already existing appointment
- replying to email
- opening previously received email

All of the appointments/emails come from internal users, with many different senders (not limited to one particular sender).

I have upgraded both the novell client (3.32 w/sp1) and uninstalled and reinstalled the GW client on the users pc. I also had the user move to a new pc, and she still received the D107 errors when she modified appt's and when she retracted a calendar item. I ran the "Analyze/Fix" once already (from NWadmin) but for some reason I did not receive an emailed log file in the GW administrator's mailbox.

That being said, I ran the "Analyze/Fix" last night (which I wont do again without following your suggestions!) and did receive an email regarding this. The user has not reported any ill-effects today (thankfully) and the log file did show that some items were deleted. I ran it just on the one user's database, through NWadmin, and with all options checked besides "Collect statistics". There were items deleted under "contents verification of users outgoing msg database" and "Checking Data records". The user did attempt to recreate the error but was unable to, although I must say that I am not holding out much hope at this point...

Any additional assistance/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

I started receiving alot of D109's after I upgraded to GW6. 5.5 clients would get it when a 6 client would send to them. They have vanished now that everyone is running the 6 client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back