Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User logon takes way too long!!! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAHshill

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2002
US
One of the worksations that is part of the domain is taking an extreemly long time to login to the domain. After I enter the username and password the screen clears and nothing comes up, no applications, icons, or anything. The domain is up and working fine other users are logging in with no problems.
What could be the problem?

Thanks,

Chris

That user profile must be extremely loaded in the server (too many files or information ).That could be a reason for that long delay during log on. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

im sorry , i meant "extremely loaded on the server." A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

I have had the same problem before! I solved it be reomving the workstation from the domain into a workgroup, and then rejoining the workstation to the domain. i beleive that it is a kerebros token issue.

DNS, DNS, DNS! I would bet money the workstation is not registering correctly with dns. Go to your dns and make sure that their is a host entry being created for the workstation. Most likely reason for failure...a hard coded DNS entry(incorrect) in the ip settings of the workstation.

Jon

IS that happening only to one user, or to all the users in that workstation? YEah, i agree it could be DNS too. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Have you compared networking with other pc's? What happens when you log on as a different user on that workstation? What happens when you log on a different workstation with that username and password? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]

"They believe that nothing will happen because they have closed their doors."
Maurice Maeterlinck (1862-1949); Belgian author

Hey,

try looking for strange errors in event viewer. I had the same prob.
The most common causes are:

1. Large roaming profiles/desktops/my docs etc.
2. Dodgey (technical phrase!) computer account on server
3. DNS error.

Either look at the DNS, recreate the computer account and make sure its not just one user with the problem. Also, give it a clean up/defrag/chkdsk aswell. You never know! Steve Hewitt
Systems Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back