Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Log Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

danp123

Technical User
May 24, 2003
GB
Hi,
I dont know how technical i am getting here but i would like to use a userlogin system on my site, not the fancy windows one just like the one on amazon where u type ur emailaddy and site password
how would i make a register page and then make the accountd that were registered active so they could then log into the so called members ares
Dan

have a look at the help files for authorization levels

Cheech

[Peace][Pipe]
If you don't stand up for something, you'll fall down. Toke it Easy.
Howard Marks.

where do i need to look can you post a faq link for me?

hi,
the site above is great but the buttons to get the code dont seem to be active i cant get it to put onto mysite?

ooo please ...click on the TUTORIALS buttons and read 2 pages of text...it is not that hard.
I think it is time to revive that old thread "Why are users becoming less resourcefull"
All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

lol i found it in the end sorry!
i am having trouble following the instructions! its quite confusing but i expect it is well worth learning!

:)
its all good....too much coffee on my side LOL
it is a bit missleading with "user level" but belive it or not Hiran was the 1st one to point out security gap of it in UD 4.....perhaps DWMX is better about it....BUT still his way generates MUCH MUCH less code and proteting pages is a matter of 2-3 lines....try it a few times and u will start to apprechiate the postive side of "hand written" apps ....and along with DW....u got it made ;-)
All the best!

> need more info?

hi in a spot of trouble
I am trying to follow the above guide but when i try to tell dreamweaver to test the DSN connection to my database login.mdb , which i created in access it is identical to the one they have provided
I get the error message
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 7.0 Driver] Can't open database '(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your applcation recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.
I followed their instrucitons to the letteR!

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed
The link will only work if i have a totally blank database
i am running dreamwevar version 6
and access 2002 (XP)

dan

sounds like server permissions or something wrong with the system dsn to me

Cheech

[Peace][Pipe]
If you don't stand up for something, you'll fall down. Toke it Easy.
Howard Marks.

use DSN-less...check the server permissions to the DB

> need more info?

how do i check/edit them?
at the moment i am tryin to make this on my local pc and i dont have a 'testing server'!
please help

....local pc and i DO have a 'testing server'!

in this case u would use ISManger to assign rights by browsing to the folder where the DB is at and setting rights as needed....write.delte.etc

> need more info?

what is ISmanager and where how do i get it and use it?

^dan123?
ok...tell me:
what DO you have and how are u making these pages and where are u uploading them...where is the server...where is the test server.....what machine do u have available...what OS.....etc.
the full spiel
so ur up!
All the best!

> need more info?

right well,
2 be quite honest i am jus tryin to make a login on my climbing site which is not uploaded with the new version and will not be tilli have finished
i have no test server cos i dont know what one is!
i have win 98se with all windows updates
Dreamweaver Mx to make the pages
the machine i use is
350mhz PII
10gb hdd
Compaq Deskpro motherboard
thts all u wanted i think!

hi Dan!
1st we crawl...ur at the start line for a race .
so...to get u there we need to set up a sever on your own machine...something has to serve these pages before you can test it fully.
without spamming this post to the bone...go to:
ones u understand the process u will be able to ask/understand more questions regardless where the production server is...hosted etc.
1 step at the time :)
Good Luck!

> need more info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back