Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user ID and password

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendaB

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
US
I've been using Crystal Reports with an Access database for quite awhile without any problems. Now when I try to open and refresh my reports I get the "user ID ADMIN" and asking for a password. I had this problem before when another program using an Access database was installed on my computer but I don't have any other programs like that.

This means that CR is having trouble reading the databse. Can you create new reports against this MS Access database? What else changed? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

It is an Access file on a server and I can open report and create new ones from it on my laptop and other computers, it's just my desktop pc that doesn't do right. I don't know that anything has been changed on my pc, but could my registry be messed up somehow? I've tried re-installing Crystal but that didn't change anything.

It works fine from other computers, and they are connecting to the same server?

Your desktop PC can't run reports, or create new ones? Have the network, directory or file permissions changed?

Do you have MS Access on your desktop? Can you link to this file from MS Access? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

I am experiencing exactly the same problems as BrendaB. I can access the database from within VB without any problems but when I run a report from the VB application using crystal reports, it prompts for a User Name (Admin-Default) and password(Blank). I suspect this has to do with the jet engine database security features which can be set using MS Access ie in System.MDW. My application was working fine until a new application using Access database and crystal reports was installed. I have replaced the system.mdw file to no avail. My application runs on a standalone PC so there are no connectivity issues. I understand that if user and admin groups have been set with passwords using Access (System.MDW), then the entire jets database system will require logging from any application that tries to use it.. although I am intrigued as to why this does not apply to VB but only to crystal reports.

You have two applications that both use CR on the same PC? Do you know what versions of CR are being used by each? Is the CR Designer on this PC also? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back