Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User home folder, Access Denied 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjelec

Programmer
Jan 5, 2007
GB
Hi,

I'm in panic now, so please please can someone help me?

A users account got deleted somehow (there are other admins on the domain...), so I recreated the user account. Their home folder ("\\server\users\[user]") still exists but no one can get access to it because of the restricted home folder option...

I do have the user's old guid, if the new account can be set to take on the old id... Does anyone know how to do that?

Is there any way to unlock the users home folder?

Please, please help?

Thanks in advanced.

Chris

On the server go to the folder and take ownership of it with the Domain admin account. Make sure you apply the permissions to all child objects. Then you can set specific permissions on the folder for the user.

Hi mofusjtf,

Thanks for you reply,

I did try that before posting on here, but it popped up with access denied when changing the owner and any permissions to the folder and the child objects (tick box). My account is a Domain Admin account...

Thanks again

Chris

You will still be able to Take Ownership, even if you don't have permissions, if you have Domain Admin rights. Once you've taken ownership, you will still have no access to view the directory and you will then need to go into security and Add yourself to the permissions list. At that point, I would give the NEW account you created Full Control of the folder.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

ShackDaddy,

Thanks, I'll have a look again in the morning.

I did have a thought on why it didn't work earlier, it may have been because the admin's are in a different OU, remembering from the old 2k days, this can make the Admin accounts behave as though they don't have full rights of the objects contained in above or side level OU's. My bad if that is the case...

I'll create another Admin account for myself in the users OU and then take ownership to see if that fixes the problem. If it works, I'll be back to give both of you stars ;-)

Thanks again

Chris

Thank you both for helping me out of that problem.

It worked when I ticked the box on the owner page, which I must have missed the first and second times...

Thanks again

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back